Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Please help with getting microphone to work

• Please log in to reply

toebash24

toebash24

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
So, lets see i build my new computer and decide to use a mic... only to find that the mic does not want to work. I am positive that the mic does indeed work and that it is plugged into the right plug. IT is not muted or anything and i have no idea what else to try. Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!

p.s. I reinstalled the audio drivers multiple times with no luck. I am using the onboard sound on my motherboard which is the Asus A8R-MVP.

Advertisements

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
What programs are not working with the mic? Like does it not work in games or in audio chat programs?

When you say you've made sure it's not muted, do you mean the mic itself? Have you checked the audio control panel to make sure the volume is up and it's not muted?

reiphil

reiphil

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
I have this problem sometimes. Make sure that your Audio drivers and codecs are all up to date. If you go into your volume control panel (start -> control panel -> sounds and devices) you can check what sound device you are trying to use for recording/output etc. If you go into Advanced in the Volumes tab for Device Volume, then from there go into the options, you can add your microphone to your contorl so that you may mute/unmute it for you to test over your speakers.

Also, there is an option around for microphone boost, which will help boost the sound if it is low.

Hope this helps.

toebash24

toebash24

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

What programs are not working with the mic? Like does it not work in games or in audio chat programs?

When you say you've made sure it's not muted, do you mean the mic itself? Have you checked the audio control panel to make sure the volume is up and it's not muted?

it doesnt period. not in games or audio chat programs. and yes ive looked in the control panel to make sure the volume is up and not muted. =\

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
And from what I understand the mic worked on a previous computer? And when you said you installed the drivers with no luck, did they not install or did they just not fix the problem?

If you have 8 versions of the driver installed that could be the problem. Run DriverCleaner and install the latest one fresh. Also, can you link what mic it is (whether it is a standalone or headset) so I can see which kind you have?

toebash24

toebash24

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

And from what I understand the mic worked on a previous computer? And when you said you installed the drivers with no luck, did they not install or did they just not fix the problem?

If you have 8 versions of the driver installed that could be the problem. Run DriverCleaner and install the latest one fresh. Also, can you link what mic it is (whether it is a standalone or headset) so I can see which kind you have?

i have reinstalled the drivers, they install fine, i have sound and eveyrthing but cant record. and the mic im using is just a standard labtext mic ive had forever. I also tried a headset and that did not work either. So it cant be the mic =\ i just uninstalled, did the driver cleaner, and reinstalled with a fresh coipy of the drivers from the internet.. still no luck... :whistling: