Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

W3 U

• Please log in to reply

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
SVG, MathML, and Xform are the only reason to use xhtml I can think of, consitering that xhtml delivered as xhtml (content="application/xhtml+xml;" not html content="text/html;") dose not work in older browsers.

If you are trying to teach js or php to a beginer then, that would be the way to go, with a line by line break down.

Advertisements

DKasler

DKasler

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
While not a staff member or a Geek U grad, I am a web designer and I would be more than happy to help out with this project.

Sir Grand Funk

Sir Grand Funk

• PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

I'm not sure if it is practical but as I am taking a breather from the next flash tutorial (should be done with the next 24 hours) I was thinking, (no thats not the impractical part :whistling:) with the number of web developers and hobbyists that coem here and the success of Geek U it might be a good thing for the community if we were to start a W3 U (just a though on the name) obviousely based on web design and web application design. although we would need people who were willing to put the time and effort into making it work. Just a though I know it would be a hassle on the part of the admins and I'm not sure if we have enough TT's who would be willing to put the time in, but i know i'de be glad to offer my assistance.

if it seems practical

Like w3schools ?

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
Kind of I think, but we are there to help along the way.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
It seems this effort is gaining some momentum. I'm thinking of creating a new W3 University forum under the Internet category. We'd likely make those interested in teaching moderators of the forum. If it grows we could consider adding a new usergroup for W3 students, and some subforums. For now tutorials etc would simply be pinned topics. Sound okay? Comments, suggestions?

TaNkZ101

TaNkZ101

• PipPipPip
  • 327 posts
good idea with the tutorials, we should write some ourselves as an addition to those external links i saw somewhere. we should also make a list of suggested text/gui html editors, since that seems to be an often topic ("what text editor to you suggest", and the like). another thing is reasons to build a website; a lot of people would like to build websites, but don't know what to build it on, we should make suggestions in a pinned topic. maybe we could have a "want to build a website?" thread (or another name) where we could write why to build a website, and maybe list those html editors in it. i think we should have that as a pinned thread, and there would be like 3/4 other pinned threads (seperate for html, css, js, php) where everybody would contribute more or less (like in wikipedia). those are my thoughts at the moment

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
We do have the start of a Wiki. It would be easy enough to add a W3 section there if wanted. :whistling:

http://www.geekwiki.com

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
A wiki would be good. It would allow the content to be presented better. Threads tend to get very long and hard to read. Then we would link to them in the first post for the js, html, css, html tutorilas.

Matt L

Matt L

• PipPipPip
  • 275 posts
Please count me in. I've been looking all over for one.

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
Bump

When do we start?

Advertisements

Magosis

Magosis

Retired Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 190 posts
Well Admin i can start getting this a bit moe organised if you like. such as sending out PM notifcications and things to the people who have posted here to verify they are still interested. just give the word :whistling:

mpfeif101

mpfeif101

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,411 posts
I think a W3 U is a great idea. I'd be willing to help teach PHP (I'm no expert, but I can code pretty well) and HTML if needed.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
It's alive! thenotch, Magosis and mpfeif1011 are moderators. :whistling:

Drumbum667

Drumbum667

• PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
This is a great idea. I would definitely be in. Yay its started.

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
I would like to learn :whistling: