Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Really needed? Anyone with experience would be greatly appreciated!

• Please log in to reply

Dave01

Dave01

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I've been having some problems with my cable internet for some time, but seem to have gotten it fixed after reformating and using diff. ethernet drivers. But my question is -

I keep reading online about Speedguide.net and after browsing that sight, are those registry 'tweaks' really needed? I'm just scared to go messing with the registry since having all those problems here lately. (Once again, they seem fine now)

Just anyone really noticed a difference, or know for a fact it'll help performance with my internet connection? I play a ton of online games like World of Warcraft. I don't really wanna hurt my latency or anything on that side either. (Although, you guys may say it'll actually make it faster/better)

Just food for thought - I'm running XP Prof. and use use the onboard ethernet that came on my ASUS A8NSLi-Deluxe. I do however understand that tweaks and patches can make a huge difference. My computer runs Open GL games (World of Warcraft) and others like CRAP without those dual core drivers from AMDs site. If this is the kind of upgrade that I'll get by one of those tweaks, then by all means let me know. :whistling:

Thanks guys for any pointers, or a simple opinion.

Advertisements

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Sometimes these tweaks can have a difference. I tweaked my registery and I noticed a little difference, but not much. It depends on the system.

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
http://www.snapfiles...nsockxpfix.html

try that for connection

fructose

fructose

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 284 posts
Some of the tweaks can make a small difference, but you aren't going to get a 50% increase with them. I would recomend testing you connection speed at several speed testers and then comparing the results to the advertised speed that your broadband company says it's giving you. I haven't tweaked my system, and I get at, or very near to, my theoretical max.

If you are content with you connection speed, then I wouldn't bother playing with the registry.