Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help connecting two computers to one broadband connection

• Please log in to reply

Ty2015

Ty2015

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hello, I’m sorry to take up anyone’s time…but I’m having a very difficult time configuring two computers to connect to one wired broadband/ADSL connection (both computers have Windows XP SP2).

I’ve read several instructions online, but they haven’t quite worked.

So could someone please give me step-by-step instructions on what to do?

One computer has two Ethernet cards, and is already connected to the other one via an Ethernet cable.

Edited by Ty2015, 25 July 2006 - 03:25 PM.

Advertisements

fructose

fructose

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 284 posts
You can connect the two cards together, but it's not the best way to do it. I would recomend getting a router. You connect it like this:

Internet > Cable/DSL/whatever modem > router > computers

Simple and fast to set up. Also, you won't have to keep them connected computer on for the second computer to have an internet connection. You can get one for $20-30.

If you want to connect the two computers together, you need a corssover cable. Very similar, but different than a plain old ethernet cable. Ask for one at a computer store and they should help you find one. Make sure you specify that you need a crossover cable, though. Some of those Best Buy 'techs' aren't all that sharp.

Windows already has the software to hook up like this, and all you do it set up the computer with the two network cards to share it's internet connection. After you connect the computers using the crossover cable, click on Start -> Control Panel -> Network And Internet Connections -> Setup Or Change Your Home Or Small Office Network. Follow the wizard all the way though and you should be good to go.