Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Automated program load @ Windows startup

• Please log in to reply

jester620

jester620

• PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
Hey guys I need some help.

I have a program that I need loaded on my machine daily. The key to the program is that it must be started up before any other non-Windows program.

If I start this program after starting another I get a funky error, but I don't care about that. It's a bug that is in that program (company knows about it).

I was wondering if there was a way to automate my startup to include this program, making sure it is the first one loaded. I didn't know if the Startup folder in the Start menu had an integrated hierarchy in it.

Any help would be nice. Thanks for your help in advance!

Using Windows XP Pro Sp2

Edited by jester620, 25 July 2006 - 12:59 PM.

Advertisements

fructose

fructose

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 284 posts
This may suit your needs.

http://www.efsoftware.com/su/e.htm

jester620

jester620

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
It prolly would. I was just wondering if there was something in Windows that I could do without adding another program to this machine. It's already loaded to it's gills with programs.

fructose

fructose

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 284 posts
It's possible to make a script to order when you want programs to start. Are these programs in your startup folder or in the registry?

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
I breifly found this article that may help.
http://groups.google...e1b58c9c2d85264

Someone there looked like the same problem you have.

Let me know because I want to do the same thing at some point.

Thanks

jester620

jester620

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
fructose- At this point the program is not in my startup nor scripted in registry. I hadn't gone that far yet. I've just been executing the program as soon as Windows loads.

jaxisland- I think that is exactly what I'm looking for. However, I've done only minor step-by-step registry mods before. (i.e. I'm paranoid of screwing up my registry).

Ideas?

Thanks for all your help guys!

fructose

fructose

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 284 posts
So after Windows is done loading, you run this program, and then anyother software that you need to run. Right?

It sounds like you can just put this program in the startup folder.

Have you tried putting a shortcut to the program in the Startup Folder in Start > All Programs?

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
Anytime I touch the registry I start to sweat. I have made many mods with so far no negative consequences. The one thing that I do everytime before I start is go to File - Export. I save a current copy of the Registry just in case.

The number 13 on that list in the link says to set it as a scheduled task at startup, I dont know if it will run when you need it to, but it is worth a shot first. Alot safer to try before the Registry.

Let me know how things go.

jester620

jester620

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
Its not that easy unfortunately. I just found out more information regarding this problem (co-worker's machine/problem.. I'm just troubleshooting for him).

When Windows first starts up and we see the desktop screen (icons etc.), I must load this program or I get that error. This is before all the stuff in his taskbar load.

We have cleared out his startup folder and put this program in there and get the same error.

Is my next step regedit?

Edited by jester620, 25 July 2006 - 02:48 PM.

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
Well, I have been doing some further digging and it seems that even if you add your program to the Registry it still is going to start the other things first. I have found documentation that says those keys are all run at the same time, whatever program has the shortest boot goes first. At this juncture I do not feel comfortable telling you what Registry edits to make and event that if you do they will work at all. The decision is yours.

I know you turned this down before but Autoruns from www.sysinternals.com is a great program. It takes up little space and its free. I use their site for many things and trust them.

I am sorry I didnt have an easier answer for you.
Let me know how things turn out.

Advertisements

fructose

fructose

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 284 posts
It sounds like it if you don't want to use a start up manager. You could put it in the services section, to get it to start as soon as possible, but I don't think it will guarantee that you'll avoid the error.

If you are worried about messing up the registry, you can follow these steps to have a good back up.

Backing Up Your Registry
  • Go Here and download ERUNT
    (ERUNT (Emergency Recovery Utility NT) is a free program that allows you to keep a complete backup of your registry and restore it when needed.)
  • Install ERUNT by following the prompts
    (use the default install settings but say no to the portion that asks you to add ERUNT to the start-up folder (if you like you can enable this option later)
  • Start ERUNT
    (either by double clicking on the desktop icon or choosing to start the program at the end of the setup)
  • Choose a location for the backup
    (the default location is C:\WINDOWS\ERDNT which is acceptable).
  • Make sure that at least the first two check boxes are ticked
  • Press OK
  • Press YES to create the folder.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
just as a note....if this is a single local computer (or honestly multiple domain computers) you can use gpedit.msc to assign a startup script to the machine that would call a batch file that would start that program before windows fully loads..thereby before any other software loads

jester620

jester620

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

just as a note....if this is a single local computer (or honestly multiple domain computers) you can use gpedit.msc to assign a startup script to the machine that would call a batch file that would start that program before windows fully loads..thereby before any other software loads

dsenette-Thanks for joining in the thread.

1) What would the risks be to doing that?
2) How would I go about doing it?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
there should be no risks...other than it not working
what you would want to do is create a batch file that is simply a path to the executable of the program (such as c:\stuff\thisprogram.exe take note...that if any of that path has a space in it..you need to put the whole path in quotes)

then you would do start > run > gpedit.msc

under "computer configuration" > "windows settings" > scripts > double click startup > choose add > brose to the batch file you just made and leave the paramaters empty > close everything out and restart (also...keep your fingers crossed that it works)

jester620

jester620

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
That sounds almost too easy. I'll give it a go and let you guys know how it worked tomorrow.

Thanks for all your help.

I'm government so its time for me to clock out! :whistling: