Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to convert mp3 files to wma format?

• Please log in to reply

Saranna

Saranna

• Pip
  • 2 posts
First off, apologies if I've posted this under entirely the wrong category, I hope I'll be forgiven!

My problem is that I dont know how to convert mp3 audio files into wma files. I would like to do this since I would be able to store twice as many songs (1000, rather than just 500) on my recently acquired personal music player, and this would be more beneficial for my overflowing music library! The music player is a Samsung and MUST use Windows Media 10 for transferring music. This is therefore what I now use to organise my music collection (before it was iTunes, already installed on my computer, which personally I found a lot easier to use).

Possibly it's a fairly easy thing to do, but I have to admit to being ignorant as far as these matters are concerned and don't have a clue how to! I've tried to research it on Google, but all I get is sponsored results asking me to buy file conversion programmes online. Isn't there an easier and cost-free way? :S

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!

Saranna

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
In our free software list at the top there should be something that will hel[ just find something that works, it might not do WMA as thats not a very well used format but what you need to do is just reencode the mp3s to a lower bitrate which is what you would be doing if you turned it wma as wmas arent actually any smaller than mp3s so a lower bitrate mp3 will be the same as a WMA at the same bitrate and mp3 doesnt have any DRM which is good.

Saranna

Saranna

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for that! But how would I go about reducing the bitrate?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Open Media Player, click tools, options, rip music, look to see it is set to WMA (3 types) or Mp3, then look below to check the bitrate setting, click apply if you change anything, close Media Player then re-open it