Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

better defrag utility out there?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

bvjens31

bvjens31

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
Hey I was just wondering if there was a better defrag utility out there, compared to the standard Windows one. It's starting to run pretty slow and I'm not sure if it's too 'intelligent' on where it relocates the files. Not a huge problem, just something I thought I'd ask cuz it'd be nice to know.

Secondly, I have refrained from updating Windows ever since they came out with that Windows Validation Toolkit. I don't have a valid OS on this rig, so I didn't want to install the toolkit to get the updates if it would screw me over. Is it possible to install the toolkit, download the windows security updates, then uninstall the validation toolkit? Or am I stuck with it forever once I put it on my machine? Just wondering.

Thanks in advance! :whistling:

Advertisements

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP

I don't have a valid OS on this rig, so I didn't want to install the toolkit to get the updates if it would screw me over.

Due to having an illegal operating system on your computer, we cannot provide ANY assistance to you on this site. :whistling:

Thank you for your cooperation.