Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Loss Partition will valuable data any suggetsions for recovery

• Please log in to reply

teknoKraftDesigns

teknoKraftDesigns

• Pip
  • 1 posts
A brief nature of the problem is my computer blue screened on me while I was using the disk management console to create a new partition with 30 gig's of raw space on my drive. Here are my computer specifications.

Windows Xp Pro SP2
Pc Chips mother board running a XP 1800+ m
1 Gigabyte of R.A.M
160 Gigabyte Samsung Harddrive
Sound Blaster Audigy

I Mainly use it for programming and music, but nothing to heavely processed involved.

About a week ago my computer had 3 partitions on the drive. A C: which consisted of 20gig's, a D: which consisted of 30gig's, and a E: which consisted of 100gig's.
On the primary partition which was the C: I had windows server 2003 installed. On the extended partition drive D: I had windows Xp Pro installed. The other extended partition drive E: was used for back up of programs, and very important saved files. Just a few days ago I recentlly got a new server and no longer needed to have windows server 2003 on my computer as this was going to be installed on the server. So I decided to do a reinstall of windows xp pro on my computer. I did so and when I came to the part to select which partition i wanted to install windows on I took the following course of action. I deleted booth the C: and D: partition. I left the E: partition intacked as this was my data backup partition. I then created a new partition consisting of 20 gigs from the raw space available from the deletion of partition C: and D:. I finished installing windows xp pro and the resulting seneario was this. My computer contained a 20 gig logical partition which windows xp was installed on. As well my computer had the E: consisting of 100 gig's and all the files where intacked and everything was ok. As well my computer coatined 30 gig's of raw unpartiotned data left over from the deletion of the 2 partitions during installation.
So over the past couple of days I have just been reinstalling all my applications and configuring my computer. And I came into a bit of a hard drive space shortage so I decide to create a new extended partition out of the 30 gig's of raw space. So I went to the computer management consol, then to the disk managmenet colse and created a partition out of the raw space. Dueing the process windows blue screened on me.During the dump the system frooze and I was forced to shut the power of. When I rebooted the system it started up fine. I looked in the my computer console and my system showed my C:, my E:, and the new parition F:. But my E: partition is all corrupted. When clicked on it asked me if I would like to format it now. In the disk management console it shows the partition as consisting of 1161 gigabytes(<-- I wish, but common). I decided I would come here first and get some input on what options if any I have to get the data back. I am aware of the partition recovery tools available and If someone has any testimonials on any they have tried and have had success from it would be great to hear.

Anyways thanks for your time and help any questions or extra information you need let me know.

Advertisements