Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

RAM stuff!

• Please log in to reply

garretbcripe

garretbcripe

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
Hello all-

Once again I'm turning to the community at GtG to help me not look like an idiot.

What the jank should i be looking for when i upgrade ram? I've been to crucial and they (very kindly) showed me what i could buy from them that would be compatible with my system, but i'm not old enough to be buying anything online. There's a circuit city and best buy and probably something else within bicycle distance (stop laughing, you were young and broke once too.) I already have a gig of ram installed, and i have an emachines T6212 model pc with an ati radeon X700 pro graffix card. um...the processor is an amd athlon 64 3200+. i'm assuming that all meant something to you guys, i just quoted it from the sticker on the front of my tower. i guess there's...DDR, and SIMM or something or other that makes all sorts of ram different and if i get the wrong one i'm sure i'll manage to delete the entire internet. um...if someone knows of a tutorial...or...something...i'd be much obliged.

Thanks all!
Garret

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
The easist way to find out what you have is to download everest and see what it says. More than likely you have PC3200 ram(DDR400) but unless you are into gaming on-line you really dont need more than a Gig of ram. You will not see any speed increase by adding more ram past the 1 gig.

SRX660

Edited by SRX660, 25 July 2006 - 08:07 PM.

garretbcripe

garretbcripe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Thanks mate!

everest says something along the lines of PC3200 DDR SDRAM. will this be what i need to get if i ever wanna upgrade?