Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

An error box pops up every time I log on

• Please log in to reply

Yeoman

Yeoman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

Clear the prefetch folder

Click start then run, type msconfig then press enter, click start up, click disable all

Then replace the ticks for the firewall, anti virus and any anti spyware programmes you have, click apply

Click the services tab, remove any ticks for symantec / norton, click apply and reboot

Tick do not start the cvonfiguration utilty when windows gets to the desktop

OK I did all that. The Popup jumped in just before the box for ticking the last instruction appeared. What do I do now?

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Create a folder in my documents, called regfile-02-08-2006

Click start then run, type regedit and press enter

Click file, export, with the dot in all, save the file to the regfile folder

Click the + next to HKEY_CURRENT_USER then click the + for software

Look for any Norton / Symantec entries, left click them, press the delete button, confirm

Click the + next to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE then click the + next to software, delete any Norton / Symantec entries, confirm, reboot

Yeoman

Yeoman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

Create a folder in my documents, called regfile-02-08-2006

Click start then run, type regedit and press enter

Click file, export, with the dot in all, save the file to the regfile folder

Click the + next to HKEY_CURRENT_USER then click the + for software

Look for any Norton / Symantec entries, left click them, press the delete button, confirm

Click the + next to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE then click the + next to software, delete any Norton / Symantec entries, confirm, reboot

Hi Keith

Sorry I'm getting hung up on this one. Your second instruction says " ........ save the file to the regfile folder"

But save what file? No file is evident after I click export with the dot in all..

Regards

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Having created the folder in my documents, name the file, then set the save to as the folder you created using the drop down arrow,

click save, the folder should then have this in it

Yeoman

Yeoman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

Having created the folder in my documents, name the file, then set the save to as the folder you created using the drop down arrow,

click save, the folder should then have this in it

OK, I got it this time. Deleted some Symantic folders from the HKEY local machine string, including some error subfiles. The popup is still with us after reboot (tried it twice). Went back into the regedit, and the files I deleted have disappeared from the string.

Is there anything left to do?

AitrusSkyy

AitrusSkyy

• PipPipPip
  • 330 posts
Absolutely, I have 1 thing for you to try that will probably fix it... the LU proccess is the LIVE UPDATE module for symantec... Have you opened your symantec/norton lately to see if the program could actually update, cause I think you will find it cannot...

Gimme just one sec and ill edit this post in about a minute with what you need. (gimme just 1 sec and in a minute, oh just shoot me...)

OK OK OK , go to this link, and rather this is a reverse physcology type of way for fixing this... instead of trying to rid yourself of the problem, rather update the program to the latest version, then you should be able to properly remove it, as this update first removes the older versions...

http://symantec.com/...iles/lu/lu.html

downloed the top file there called

Release Date: August 2, 2006
File: lusetup.exe (3,111,376 bytes)
Description: Version 3.0.0.171 update for 32-bit Windows LiveUpdate files.
Improvements in Product Integration Support
Improvements in Network Bandwidth Utilization
Logging & Diagnostics Enhancements
Usability Improvements

its the first download on the top. then run it...

Edited by AitrusSkyy, 03 August 2006 - 07:20 AM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello Yeoman...

In Registry Editor (left pane), expand (click +) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, then SOFTWARE, then Microsoft, then Windows, then CurrentVersion, and click on Run. Is the file listed in the pop-up listed in the right pane?

wannabe1

Yeoman

Yeoman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

Absolutely, I have 1 thing for you to try that will probably fix it... the LU proccess is the LIVE UPDATE module for symantec... Have you opened your symantec/norton lately to see if the program could actually update, cause I think you will find it cannot...

Gimme just one sec and ill edit this post in about a minute with what you need. (gimme just 1 sec and in a minute, oh just shoot me...)

OK OK OK , go to this link, and rather this is a reverse physcology type of way for fixing this... instead of trying to rid yourself of the problem, rather update the program to the latest version, then you should be able to properly remove it, as this update first removes the older versions...

http://symantec.com/...iles/lu/lu.html

downloed the top file there called

Release Date: August 2, 2006
File: lusetup.exe (3,111,376 bytes)
Description: Version 3.0.0.171 update for 32-bit Windows LiveUpdate files.
Improvements in Product Integration Support
Improvements in Network Bandwidth Utilization
Logging & Diagnostics Enhancements
Usability Improvements

its the first download on the top. then run it...

Thanks Aitrius, but I uninstalled NAV a few days ago when I couldnt get rid of this d....d thing. I had just signed up for two years, and paid the extra so that I could re-install at any time. Would I have to reinstall to download this, or will it work without. I have cleansed my system of NAV elements in trying to rid myself of the popup, so I might return to your suggestion as a last resort later. Thanks again.

Yeoman

Yeoman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

Hello Yeoman...

In Registry Editor (left pane), expand (click +) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, then SOFTWARE, then Microsoft, then Windows, then CurrentVersion, and click on Run. Is the file listed in the pop-up listed in the right pane?

wannabe1

There are only four files listed on the right pane, three of which are legit, and the first one is the default with "Value not set" under data., - doesnt sound very promising does it?

Thanks very much for your interest, it is starting to frustrate me a bit this thing - been going for a few days now.

AitrusSkyy

AitrusSkyy

• PipPipPip
  • 330 posts
Ok look the link I gave is for the latest version of LIVE UPDATE

When you install it, it searches and removes any PREVIOUS versions
then it installs... I reccomend doing this, because it sounds like your previous lu left a few files behind or registry entries...

If you install the latest version of LU which takes less than 2 minutes, and it removes all previous...

you can turn right back around and remove the updated version of LU...

its like only a 4mb program, its not like you will have to use NAV to remove it :whistling:...

Just try it :blink:

Oh and to add to that, i would install the update, let it remove previous versions, let it install, restart your machine, remove the updated one, and then restart again, see if this fixes it...

Edited by AitrusSkyy, 03 August 2006 - 08:31 AM.

Advertisements

Yeoman

Yeoman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

then it installs... I reccomend doing this, because it sounds like your previous lu left a few files behind or registry entries...

If you install the latest version of LU which takes less than 2 minutes, and it removes all previous...

its like only a 4mb program, its not like you will have to use NAV to remove it :whistling:...

Oh and to add to that, i would install the update, let it remove previous versions, let it install, restart your machine, remove the updated one, and then restart again, see if this fixes it...

Thank you vm for that, I will do it as soon as I get back from work tonite (-8hrs here)

Yeoman

Yeoman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

Thank you vm for that, I will do it as soon as I get back from work tonite (-8hrs here)

Hello AitrusSkyy

Well no good. I did it a couple of times, and on both occastions the popup did not appear on restart straight after installation (which got me very excited!!) but after removal (using add and remove programs) and startup it returned with the dreaded "plomp".

It occurred to me to me to leave the updated version installed and try restarting with it loaded. But no, the critter came back to haunt me again.

One thing, there was no indication that it was removing previous versions, I assume it must have done that without telling.

It downloaded, I saved to desktop. Double clicked then "ran". It installed, and initialized and thats all.

I had great hopes, because your suggestion sounded logical. Dont suppose you have any other ideas?

Regards

Zveky

Zveky

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Huuh, i will try to explain in few sentences how i solved problem.
Please sorry for my bad english, but i think i can help solve this pain in da [bleep]! :blink:

I had same problem, identical, [bleep] pop up every time, i googled if anyone else has this type of problem and i found Yeoman explaning my problem very good...i read all transcript and...try everything...but nothing helped as Yeoman says. I even tried to type in command prompt that LUsetup.exe -q -log bla bla [bleep] from registry or modifying registry to find that Lusetup cos Win is constatly trying to find it.

So today i discovered that i can move that Lusetup value from registry when i Quit AD-Watch :whistling:

Belive it or not, it worked, no more pop-up, i disabled some option Lock sturtup..i don't know what that does..it is in options of my ad-watch(Lavasoft product).
So try to shut down your programs for spyware adware ore other and disable their automatic start when win and that should help.
I hope it could help you too, so write if there were problems
GL

AitrusSkyy

AitrusSkyy

• PipPipPip
  • 330 posts
Also try this new symantec auto fixer....

http://www.symantec....ndex_ts_ie.html

Yeoman

Yeoman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
Yes the pop up persists. I have sent the problem to the Norton techs, but they have gone into a huddle, and I havn't heard for a few days.

Thanks AitrusSkyy, but it said that there are no problems with my Norton Internet Security.

Thanks also to Zveky. I think I can understand your message. I will check my Webroot Spy Sweeper for anything similar in the options etc. In the meantime I have only just learned how to do a screen shot, and a copy of the actual popup is as follows:

By the way I was going to add a screen shot of the actual popup which I have captured as a .bmp document. Can someone tell me why I cant copy and paste it to this reply. Should it be in a different format?

Regards Yeoman :whistling: