Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dual core, dual processor

• Please log in to reply

gacmusicman

gacmusicman

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I was just wondering two things. First of all would it be better to do a dual processor system over a dual core? Second question is is it possible to do a dual core, dual processor? In other words could somebody have two dual core processors on a motherboard?

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
depends on your use of the computer...

true dual proc systems are usually servers..though some home computers can be dual proc's... there are advantages and disadvantages to both (dual procs take up more space... dual core's don't have ALOT of software to take advantage of them yet..etc..)

you can have mutli dual core processors on the same board..as long as the board is capable of doing this...there are some servers that have 2, 4 or 8 dual core procs (some will have more...and honestly...the sky's the limit when it comes to that)...and i want one..hehe

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
Another thing to consider.... most dual-processor boards I've seen require ECC memory as they are typically designed to be servers.... and then there is the problem of having an os that supports more than one processor and/or core.... Xp pro will do 2 out of the box I believe.... may have to do a server edition of windows beyond that..... or you could always run linux ( I think some distros support 8 or more cpus out of the box. )

gacmusicman

gacmusicman

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
thx for the reply, it would be a sweet setup

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
Google servers have 24+ CPUs on cluster.