Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Login password not working for Outlook

• Please log in to reply

scottsatellite

scottsatellite

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
Hi,

I am having a problem with my Outlook retrieving my e-mail from the server. I have entered my proper login information and Outlook responds by continuously asking to re-enter my login info (even though it is correct). When I hit cancel this is the message it says:

Task 'scott - Sending and Receiving' reported error (0x800CCC92) : 'Your e-mail server rejected your login. Verify your user name and password in your account properties. Under Tools, click E-mail accounts. The server responded: -ERR unable to scan $HOME/Maildir'

So you know, I have Outlook Express as a backup with the same exact login information, and it is working perfectly, so I think this must be a problem with my Outlook in some way.

Thanks very much for your help.

-Scott

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Does the server require authentication, more settings on the account details page

You can check how OE is set up

scottsatellite

scottsatellite

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
No authentication required.

By the way it was working fine, no settings or anything was changed and then it started doing this.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Have you checked the settings are the same as in OE

If they are, open Word, click help, click detect and repair, tick restore shortcuts

In Outlook, click tools, e-mail accounts, click view or change, click an account, click change, click test account settings

scottsatellite

scottsatellite

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Settings are exactly the same as OE.
Did what you said.
Got this error message (some errors occurred while processing the tests):

Log onto incoming mail server (POP3): Unable to logon to the incoming mail server (POP3).
Please verify the settings in th User Name, Password and E-mail fields.

scottsatellite

scottsatellite

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
by the way I did just receive the test message on my OE

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Did it say what the errors were

Did you run detect and repair, although you use Word it repairs Office

Did you test Outlook

Which is the server

scottsatellite

scottsatellite

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
I wrote what the error said right there, maybe you didn't see it (I posted 2 in a row)

Error message from Outlook test:

"Log onto incoming mail server (POP3): Unable to logon to the incoming mail server (POP3).
Please verify the settings in the User Name, Password and E-mail fields."

yes I did everything you asked, the repair, the test, I won't post back to you until I do everything you instruct.

The server is mail.satelliterecords.com. Other people whose e-mail is received from this server are receiving it fine, as well as my OE is receiving it fine. This problem is isolated to my outlook.

scottsatellite

scottsatellite

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Hi....any other thoughts on this?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Re-install Office and check Office Update afterwards

scottsatellite

scottsatellite

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
I was already going to do that and contacted you guys hoping for an alternative....oh well...thanks for your help.

mloring

mloring

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Did you get this handled, Scott? It is now happening to me. I even did an entire computer system restore and it is STILL HAPPENING...

emm1309

emm1309

• Pip
  • 2 posts
[b]I also have the problem, has anyone worked it out yet?
I also have problems sending emails, I get "Unable to send please varify email address, server responed 550 not permitted..
Please can anyone help
THanks

Edited by emm1309, 14 August 2006 - 09:22 AM.

marry90.anderson

marry90.anderson

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Hi,

I am having a problem with my Outlook retrieving my e-mail from the server. I have entered my proper login information and Outlook responds by continuously asking to re-enter my login info (even though it is correct). When I hit cancel this is the message it says:

Task 'scott - Sending and Receiving' reported error (0x800CCC92) : 'Your e-mail server rejected your login. Verify your user name and password in your account properties. Under Tools, click E-mail accounts. The server responded: -ERR unable to scan $HOME/Maildir'

So you know, I have Outlook Express as a backup with the same exact login information, and it is working perfectly, so I think this must be a problem with my Outlook in some way.

Thanks very much for your help.

-Scott

In first stage, you can try hit & trial method. If you fail then advanced password recovery method is alternative option. Such kind of utility generates set of new usable password. In my knowledge, Stellar Phoenix Outlook password recovery software is one of them.