Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My computer is automatically shutting down..

• Please log in to reply

Jere

Jere

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
Well, I took my pc over to my friends house to have a little LAN fun and he just got a router.. but at his house.. my pc would randomly shut off when I logged in... but sometimes it would stay on.. and when it did.. it wouldn't shut off randomly until I restarted my pc... so now.. this happens at my house. We used a router at his house but I'm not sure that's the problem. But I notice my zonealarm is going all haywire now and is saying it's blocking the ip address of my router... so I'm very confused right now on what to do. I decided I would update my zonealarm just to see if that does it. And now when I try to start the update.exe program it auto-shuts off my pc right then.. and that triggers it. Otherwise, when I play a game that requires internet.. It'll take a few mins then shut off... but if I stay on my desktop without playing games my pc is just fine. Do you guys know of any viruses perhaps that cause this problem?

I know it's not my power supply because I took it to compusa and we put 3 new ones in and it still has the same problem..

So lets recap:
My problem only started happening after I took my pc over to my friends house and used the internet at his house...

Could it possibly be Zonealarm?

Thanks,
-Jere Rutter

Advertisements

Comnir

Comnir

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
You can uninstall ZoneAlarm and see whether you still experience the problem. In addition, you can also try to allow the IP address of your router. If you don't know how to do this, you can check the User Manual of your version of ZoneAlarm for adding IP address to the trusted zone.

Jere

Jere

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Problem is, if I uninstall zone alarm.. I might not be able to reinstall it since my pc shuts down each time..

I also noticed the cpu overheat light comes on each time it shuts down.. but my bios list that it's at around 45C and that's fine.

Any other ideas please? I'm really tired of dealing with this :-/ It runs fine til I run a game, try to do a virus scan, or install zonealarm..