Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BIOS Update? Will it help USB problem? Thinkpad.

• Please log in to reply

ryanpalmerb

ryanpalmerb

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
I just ran Thinkvantage System Updates for my R52 Thinkpad and I have questions about 2 of the optional updates:

1 - Update BIOS

I didn't want to proceed with this cuz it seemed kinda scary...should I just go ahead and do it? Is it possible this will help my problem of new Cruzer Micro's not working in my USB drive?

2 - Embedded Controller Update

Same scary thing. I have no idea what this is...should I update anyway?

Thanks in advance for helping me out.

Clueless.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
That laptop is new enough that it should have no problem with USB. I do not think updating the BIOS will help your problem. Have you tried any other USB devices in the laptop? Camera? You need to determine if it is a USB problem or a problem with the cruiser drive. A problem does happen when people reformat flash drives. From the factory they have drivers on the drive so windows XP and ME can see the drive properly. Reformatting the drives deletes these drivers so the computer has a problem figuring out what the device is. I copied all the drivers from the cruiser mini to my computer so i could reinstall them if i had a problem with them. Have you tried the drives in any other computers?

SRX660

ryanpalmerb

ryanpalmerb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Thanks for the reply.

I have used many different kinds of flashdrives, cameras, ipods, etc in my USB ports and they all have worked fine except for this Cruzer.

I have also used this Cruzer in a few different machines and it has worked fine, including my girlfriends laptop which is the exact same model as mine, just about a year newer.

So - my USB port is ok and the Cruzer is ok, just not together?

I should note that this is one of the new Cruzer's..Micro I think - that has this U3 technology stuff? MY laptop seems to recognize the Cruzer but I can't add/remove files to it. And the U3 startup program won't run like it does on other machines.

I'm wondering if in between when I bought my laptop and my gf bought her's Lenovo changed something to make this technology work in the USB port? Doesn't this have something to do with BIOS?