Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cant access the internet

• Please log in to reply

bburrell1

bburrell1

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Help, I have Comcast Hi-Speed Internet and have been unsuccessfully able to get online. Here's the setup: I connect through a wireless router directly to my main computer. I have two wireless cards for a laptop and another computer. These two computers can connect wih no problems, but the main one that's hardwired won't. Ive contacted Comcst several times but to no avail. Ive also tried to connect straight from the modem to the ccmputer and still have not had any success. Comcast finally say its an internet explorer issue. WWhat a copout.

Advertisements

fructose

fructose

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 284 posts
Indeed. Comcast doesn't seem to know what they are talking about.

Right-click on My Computer and pick Properties. Click the Hardware tab and select Device Manager. Do you see any yellow ? or ! on the page?

bburrell1

bburrell1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
No there are no yellow ?? or anything under device manager

fructose

fructose

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 284 posts
Go to your control panel, and under Network and Internet Connections click on Network Connections.

Right click on Local Area Connection and the on Properties. Double click on Internet Protocal (TCP/IP) and make sure it is set up to obtain an IP address and DNS server automatically.

bburrell1

bburrell1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I did all of the above; All the appropriate boxes are checked as you specified.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

the setup: I connect through a wireless router directly to my main computer

how are you doing that? usb or ethernet?
edit: also...on the nonworking computer do start > run > cmd > ipconfig /all and report the results...do the same on one of the working ones

Edited by dsenette, 28 July 2006 - 03:05 PM.