Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Disney 'CARS' game

• Please log in to reply

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
Dsennette I didn't think it was the processor because it runs, the graphic seem to be the problem.

Catalsyst Control Center is a graphics utility. It installs the latest driver and gives you a control panel that allows you to change things you don't need to change :whistling:

If the new drivers don't work, then the fact is you may need to dish out money for a new video card or processor. Does the game run smoothly (even though it's all white)?

(I had the white problem before I got a new card, so it may be that, and not the processor.)

Advertisements

noonoo

noonoo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Okay, I downloaded the CCCenter, but when I tried to install it, I got a pop up explaining that I didn't have the .NET Framework support. So I downloaded the .NET service pack 1.1 from Microsoft, but when I try to run that I get a pop up saying "upgrade patch cannot be installed by Windows installer, because the program to be upgraded may be missing, or upgrade patch may update a different version of program. Verify that program to be upgraded exists on computer and you have corredt patch." I have no idea what this means? The game runs pretty smoothly, It's a little slow in the story mode, other than that most of the 10 activities are okay. Kids don't want to play blind though, so I guess I may have to get the newer video card. What's your take on a good card? Thank you so much!

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
My suggestion considering you are just trying to play a Disney game is to go with something cheap that will get the job done. Therefore (though dsennete may disagree or at least offer a nVidia alternative) I recommend just getting an old ATI PowerColor Radeon 9250.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814131284

$50 and it will run cars and probably future games as well (no Battlefield 2 or anything, but future Disney games...maybe).

ON A SIDE NOTE: If you have the money, just buying a cheapo (yet newer) computer may be in your best interest. If the card doesn't help, then it's the processor which may just need an overhaul. If you have a good amount of money, I would recommend just buying a cheap Dell to run your kids games on. My old Dell (1.4Ghz P4, 256MB Ram, Radeon 9600 ran Half-Life 2 okay) was great for a while until I bought this new thing. If you have enough for a basic Dell or something similair, I would suggest doing that instead of dishing out $50 to find out you need a new processor anyway.

noonoo

noonoo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Aha! I think I may have found something! Doodling around in the Cars files, I found that some of the pictures are in TGA format... I don't have anything to support that format! Does anyone know if that could be the problem? If so, is it safe to download something like the Fresh Viewer. to support the TGA files? I'm not very tech savvy, but I realize that I downloaded the service pack for .NET, but I didn't download the actual Framework package, duh! Thanks!

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
Well you need the framework package for the drivers to work. And no, just because YOU can't look at those pictures doesn't mean the game can't (unless something has drastically changed).

noonoo

noonoo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Okay, I'll finish downloading the package! I hope it works! Otherwise, new card for me. Thank you again for all your help!! :whistling:

noonoo

noonoo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Well, I ran the CCCenter, and got nothing...so, I guess it'll be a new card next. With the Catalyst though, when I open it, the only thing it shows is that I have a Radeon 7500. It doesn't have any controls on it or anything else? Is that right? Ah well, thanks for all of your time and help! Much appreciated! :whistling:

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
If you installed it right there should be an icon nestled in the right hand side of the main taskbar. If you right click it there are options. I would still opt for a new card if it's not a big hit in terms of money. Just to prepare for further Disney games.

(Eventually, a new computer will be a must, but that's eventually...not now)