Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Want to cancel scheduled chkdsk /r in Win XP Pro SP1

• Please log in to reply

coreman

coreman

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
At the recommendation of another GTG moderator (on a different problem), I scheduled a chkdsk /r but I am running Win XP Pro SP1 (patched up to June 15,2006)...during reboot I get message "cannot open volume for direct access" and it aborts the chkdsk run. It now tries to do this scan every time I reboot.

In checking MS site, I find this is a known problem that was corrected in SP2 but I don't want to upgrade to SP2 just yet.

How do I cancel the CHKDSK in Win XP Pro? (I think I need to go into the Registry)...

Thanks in advance...

Advertisements

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
go to start ...my computer then ...on c click then then properties ....then tools

make sure there are no check mark in box

[attachment=9897:attachment]

coreman

coreman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
My apologies...I didn't explain this well...I used the Command prompt DOS command "chkdsk /r" rather than ticking any boxes in Win XP...thanks for the response though!

I still need help on canceling the scheduled chkdsk function...I was able to find that in NT, I could edit the registry (BootExecute) and delete the "chkdsk" command...but I don't know where it is in Win XP SP1...it isn't in the same place as NT...

Edited by coreman, 28 July 2006 - 12:40 AM.

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
its ok

no problem

coreman

coreman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Please close this topic...problem resolved when updated to SP2...