Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IE closes as soon as I log on

• Please log in to reply

sammifan

sammifan

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I am still using dial-up access (don't laugh!).

I dialed up to connect yesterday just as I usually do, and while I can connect to the internet, IE automatically closes after about 30 seconds without any error message. I tried to reopen IE and it closes again. I cannot get IE to stay open for more than 30 seconds or so.

Has anyone encountered a similar issue?

(I don't have Firefox, so I can't test if Firefox works, but Yahoo messenger still works and IE is the only thing that closes down.)

Thanks in advance for your help!

Advertisements

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
I have not had that problem before, but did you try looking in the Event Viewer to see if there was an error?

Camelman

Camelman

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
Have you tried uninstalling IE and then reinstalling it with the disk your modem should have come with

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
Where are my manners, Welcom to Geeks to Go Forums!

sammifan

sammifan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
jaxisland - thanks for the welcome! BTW, I am not as savvy as you guys, how do I look in the Event Viewer?

Camelman - I will try your suggestion. Thanks! (I am not at home right now.)

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
Not a problem.

Here is the steps:

Start -> Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Event Viewer

There should be three selections on the left side: Application, Security, and System.

What you want to do is look through all three of them using the date and time of the error to help narrow down your search. If you see any red or yellow icons that relate to your problem, let us know and it may help us determine the problem.

Good Luck

thefloatguy

thefloatguy

• Pip
  • 2 posts

I am still using dial-up access (don't laugh!).

I dialed up to connect yesterday just as I usually do, and while I can connect to the internet, IE automatically closes after about 30 seconds without any error message. I tried to reopen IE and it closes again. I cannot get IE to stay open for more than 30 seconds or so.

Has anyone encountered a similar issue?

(I don't have Firefox, so I can't test if Firefox works, but Yahoo messenger still works and IE is the only thing that closes down.)

Thanks in advance for your help!

Hi Sammifan,
I am having the same problem for a day now. IE opens for 4 seconds and then closes. Frustrating! I also use Firefox and it is okay. Once this problem is fixed, download Firefox so you have another browser to use if you have similar problems in the future. It has been a lifesaver...
I was able to minimze the IE window once before it closed and then maximize it and it remained open. When I tried to go to a website I received an error : Documents and Settings /... / Desktop is not Accessible.

sammifan

sammifan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi thefloatguy!

Thanks for your reply!

So did you manage to "fix" your problem or are you using Firefox for now?

I have been asking around at work for advice too, and people told me to install ad-aware to get rid of spyware and also to uninstall and reinstall IE. (Have you tried this?)

I hope it's not a virus and it's just that IE is corrupted.

thefloatguy

thefloatguy

• Pip
  • 2 posts
For now I am using Firefox until I have a few hours to download updated scanners etc.
I have not tried reinstalling IE. I am not so savy with computers... IE was already installed on my computer when I bought it from Dell. They provided me with all of the software on disks but I don't know which one has IE and I don't want to risk losing any data.
Time and patience...
I did manage to get into IE while saving beginner instructions from this forum to the desktop and then opening that file. Once open, just below the tool bar menu is an "! within a yellow shield" alert restricting "active content". When I chose to allow the active content IE shut down again. Hopefully this will be a clue for someone that knows more about this type of problem ie. geeks to go staff.
I performed a scan with AVG and found nothing. From what little I have delt with in the past, I don't think it is a virus but more likely a worm or corrupted IE from a worm, trojan etc... Time will tell.

Let me know what happens if you try reinstalling IE.
Thanks.

I will keep you updated on my progress.
Good luck!