Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

red x instead of pictures

• Please log in to reply

fledgling

fledgling

• PipPip
  • 79 posts
Hi,
I have been having a problem lately with pictues/image. Instead of image I see a red x in a box. I set IE6 internet security settings to default & also Norton IS & AV to default settings, cleared out cookies & prefetch (ccleaner) but still can't see pictures.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Advertisements

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
http://support.micro...om/?kbid=283807

That might help you out a little bit.

Let me know.

fledgling

fledgling

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
Thanks for reply & sorry for delayed response. That didn't help. It apparently must have something to do with imbedded pictures because it only happens on some emails. I don't seem to be having any problem on the web, etc. I check with Comcast & they essentially gave me the same directions. Guess I'm SOL on certain emails.

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
try right clicking on red x and show picture see if that works

fledgling

fledgling

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
That doesn't work either.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I know this is rather simple and you may have already done it but open IE and go to tools/options, under the general tab, on temporary internet files click on delete files. You may have a window popup about off-line content, put a checkmark there and click OK. It may take a while for the popup to close. Then click OK at the bottom of the window still open. Try opening a email picture then.

Sometimes if you have too many temporary files windows will start getting the red x's instead. Usually at the same time you can not save any pictures as anything else but a bmp.

SRX660

fledgling

fledgling

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
Already tried. I regularly clean out temp files. Doesn't help. Thanks.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
In outlook Express: tools > options > security. Uncheck "Block Images and Other External Content ...."

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
If you’re still encountering major problems with Internet Explorer it may be necessary to perform a repair installation. Click Start, Settings, Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs. Double click Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 and Internet Tools.

Select Repair Internet Explorer and hit Ok. This will fix any detected errors in your Internet Explorer installation. Reboot for the changes to take effect. If This does not work you will have to repair as below.

From Microsoft KB 318378

Windows XP and Windows XP SP1: Edit the registry and install Internet Explorer 6
Warning If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.
When you try to reinstall the same version of Internet Explorer, you may receive the following error message:
Setup has detected a newer version of Internet Explorer already installed on this system.
Setup cannot continue.
To avoid this error message and reinstall the same version of Internet Explorer and Outlook Express, follow these steps:
1. While you are logged on as an administrator, click Start, and then click Run.
2. In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.
3. Locate the appropriate registry subkey, right-click the IsInstalled (REG_DWORD) value, and then click Modify.

To reinstall only the Internet Explorer 6 browser component on Windows XP, use the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\{89820200-ECBD-11cf-8B85-00AA005B4383}

To reinstall only Outlook Express 6 on Windows XP, use the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\{44BBA840-CC51-11CF-AAFA-00AA00B6015C}
4. Change the value data from 1 to 0, and then click OK.
5. Quit Registry Editor, and then install Internet Explorer 6.

SRX660

fledgling

fledgling

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
Thank you for your suggestions. Nothing seemed to work. I still could not get pictures through my Comcast email provider. However, since outlook was mentioned (which I wasn't using), I decided to see what would happen if I pulled email from Comcast using Outlook (not OE). SUPRISE, I was able to see complete email including pictures. Ergo, it appears that something at Comcast is doing the blocking of pictures and no one at Comcast can tell me why. Has anyone experienced a problem with problems involving Comcast???
Once again, thanks for all the help to this point.

fledgling

fledgling

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
A further update. Since I was able to download thru Outlook, I decided to try uploading it to Comcast email server. SUPRISE< SUPRISE. It worked. However, I am still unable to get an answer from Comcast why the original email on their servier would not show the pics. If anyone has any ideas, please let me know.
Once again, thanks for the suggestions.