Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

SERIOUS Memory Problems since trojan/spyware removed

• Please log in to reply

flipperdan

flipperdan

• Pip
  • 4 posts
i recently had virtumonde, alcra, and some other malware on my comp...they all went in at the same time. was a headache and a half to find it all and get rid of it through numerous removals. but, after tons and tons of searches, it hasnt turned up anything since then 2 days ago. used norton, ewido, spy sweeper, and hjt.

my hjt log is bout completely clean. everything seems perfectly fine, however im getting serious memory issues now. my hard drive is swapping hardcore now, where before it wouldnt do it.

right now- AIM is taking up 99,020K! , iexplore WAS at about 150 yesterday till i reinstalled it with ie7beta3 (had beta2)...is it possible that all this crap screwed up everything and i gotta reinstall all the programs or what?

im not sure if all these stats are normal, or if im just noticing the way my comp is running and whatnot now cuz all the crap that was on here.

btw- just as i was typing this, aim.exe went down to 50 mb, then 10....its the lowest its been. it sorta seems like all this stuff is very very very slowly releasign memory

any diagnostic programs i can run for anyone to check? ive had xp on here for bout 3 years now (yah, surprising) and ive managed to save it numerous times, but it finally seems like its starting to go. mainly dont wanna format cuz i cant find my CD Key :whistling:

thanks in advance!

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Download and run this

http://www.angelfire...vic3/rockxp.zip

Items in blue which are underlined are clickable to give more information about the process

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, right click any file then click delete, confirm delete

Click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, then from system tools, run disc defragmenter.

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD and Windows File Protection will show a blue onscreen progress bar, when the bar goes, reboot

If you do not have an XP CD you can borrow a same version as was originally installed XP CD, if you downloaded SP2 then you need an SP1 XP CD

Click start then run, type chkdsk /f /r then press enter, type Y to confirm for next boot, press enter then reboot.

Windows will appear to load normally then either the monitor will show progress or the screen will go blank, do not disturb this.

This will take an hour or so before it gets to the desktop.

Download and install Tune Up 2006 Trial

Run Tune Up Disc Clean Up

Run Tune Up Registry Clean Up

Click Optimize and Improve to run Reg Defrag, which will take a few minutes and need a reboot. You should disable the antivirus programme to run this and check it is running after the reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor

flipperdan

flipperdan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
well, i found my 1st problem- my prefetch folder is missing!! did some googling to find out that w/out prefetch and layout.ini, itll slow your computer down drastically. found somewhere on how to rebuild it and im doin that right now. ill continue on with your process and let you know :whistling:

flipperdan

flipperdan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
ok, i performed it all and it seems like it runs better, but it still goes bout 10-15 minutes up, and then it starts swapping like crazy for a good 5 minutes...then when its done, all the memory usages has skyrocketed...right now iexplore is at 110 mb, explorer is at 75, aim is at 65, svchost at 60, and then it goes down the line of a whole bunch of other processes at bout 10-50 megs each with FEW under a few megs

SLOWLY, this memory frees up over the next hour till its back down to a very reasonable and normal usage.

its not like during the time when the memory is freeing up that the computer runs slow, it just swaps every so often during this time till it stabilizes.

possibly a problem with my hard drive going?

every test i did pretty much has come back positive and very little was done on most of those scans you gave me

this is really bothering me :whistling:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Did you get the CD Key

Have you run memtest

Clcik start, right click my computer, click properties, advanced, settings for performance, advanced, change for virtual memory, put the dot in system managed, click set, click OK

flipperdan

flipperdan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
ive tried custom and system managed

it seems like this memory issue happens every 30 minutes or so

ugh...i just feel that theres some sorta malware or somethign that just aint bein detected...i REALLY dont wanna format, but i think imma hafta :whistling:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Please follow the procedures outlined here: Malware Removal Guide

You will need a PC which can connect to the internet

Run all the programmes as advised then post a current Hijack This Log in a new topic in the Malware Forum

For the purpose of accurate malware analysis, Hijack This Logs are only dealt with in the Malware Forum. Posting them anywhere else will result in a delayed response

If you are unable to run any of the programmes, please ask for advice in the Malware Forum