Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Freezing - "not again"

• Please log in to reply

den01

den01

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
Hi,

I hope you will be able to help me… again

Problem is:
- last night my pc just freezes, as cursor went blurry and comp reboot itself, but system actually never gets up; it happens a few time – sometimes with beep-beep’s at the start (^%^&^)@>>) , but was able to restart when unplug/plug power at the back.
- As I didn’t want to have a painful weekend, I had checked and ruled out all malware problems, done system repair and updates (all this slowly – as restarting allows me), and finally reinstall ATI.
- However, system still keeps freezing (with very blurry mouse or strange squares) and rebooting – and I have to wait 10-15 min to be able to start it.
- The strangest thing (for me) is that there is only one error on event viewer for all this time, and its for today:
- Event Type: Error
- Event Source: ati2mtag
- Event Category: None
- Event ID: 108
- Date: 28/07/2006
- Time: 17:45:24
- User: N/A
- Computer: DEN-958E95F7B63
- Description:
- The driver ati2dvag for the display device \Device\Video0 got stuck in an infinite loop. This usually indicates a problem with the device itself or with the device driver programming the hardware incorrectly. Please check with your hardware device vendor for any driver updates.
-
- For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft....link/events.asp.
- Data:
- 0000: 00 00 00 00 03 00 52 00 ......R.
- 0008: 00 00 00 00 6c 00 04 c0 ....l..À
- 0010: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
- 0018: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
- 0020: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........

The error 108 on MS web is “improper line syntax” but it doesn’t do me any good as on google there is error 108 for anything, from realplayer to …photosmart.

Would you please advice me what I have to do to sort out this. Right now I am on laptop – and eventually my pc is up and running next to me, so I would be able to act immediately on any suggestion.

Thank you very much.

Regards

Den

update: just when I was finishing this post, my pc blacks out, it try to start with beep-beep’s!!! – well I hope I will start it… somehow

Advertisements

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
http://www.eventid.n...d...tag&phase=1

You can take a look there, that might help you out some. But it could be RAM, video card or settings.

Hope it helps.

den01

den01

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
Thank you jaxisland,

I saw that as well, and few more, but to say the true I don’t know what to look first. As I can check (actually, as much I know) on my pc everything looks ok.

Please can you advice me where on settings I have to look into to find the problem.

Thank you. Regards,

Den

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
is this a PCI or AGP video card? If it is I would take that out and use an onboard if you have one. I would start trying to rule out hardware before settings.

den01

den01

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
Thanks jaxisland,

I am not quite sure what is PCI and what AGP?!?

I know I have radeon 9250 card. Also, I have attached the summary from everest – you will probably much better read result that me. Right know pc is up as I have do everest on it, outlook finished the sending report to me to laptop, and still ok…

Year ago I had a similar problem, and if I can remember it was Keith who instruct me what to do in the settings – it was a few clicks in settings I think. But unfortunately, I cannot find these instructions in my forum history (maybe I had a different name at that time – I think I change the user name once or twice as I forget the pass)

As I said in first post, after first freeze I maybe carelessly did the xp repair and ATI reinstall – and now maybe I need just some adjustments in settings?

Maybe, if of any help, this is my last relevant topic on g2g:
http://www.geekstogo...s...=119242&hl=

Thank you.

Den

Attached Files

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
The link you sent me seems to be very robust with info. I would go through those steps again, and see how it turns out.

den01

den01

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
Hi Keith,

I see you are here. Would you please find time to advice me what to do with above problem.

Thank you. Rgds.

Den

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Did you manage to catch how many beeps, long, short

Which make and model motherboard

den01

den01

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
Hi Keith,

Thank you for having a time for my problem.

In the meantime I have tried to remember what did you advice me a year ago, and only new what I can recall was to unclick “Automatically restart” under the system failure on properties. Well, it didn’t black out in last 15 min or so – what is improvement comparing with today.

Yes. There was three short beeps.

But generally, there was three different ways after the crash:
1. reboot itself with this three beeps, screen stays black; so I have to manually turn it off.
2. reboot itself without beeps but screen stays black, and it seems that it doesn’t do anything – just sits there.
3. reboot itself and pop ups black screen with the message with the options to start as safe mode, … or normal… After clicking on any of options windows start but never finish loading completely – it goes to desktop screen but it freezes immediately.

Anyway, everything starts either with blurry freeze mouse (or any other different place on the screen) or just blacks out on its own.

Other details I have attached in txt summary report of everest. Is that ok?

Also, is strange that I don’t have system failure (errors) in event viewer (except one that I mentioned on first post).

Thank you Keith for advice. I know it will be good one – as always.

Regards,

Den

Attached Files

den01

den01

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
Im sorry - txt report looks awful; I have attached it again in word. Is it better now?

Den

Attached Files

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Can you check the video card is seated properly, make sure you unplug it from the mains and avoid touching metal parts

den01

den01

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
Video card unplugged/plugged. Comp is working last half a hour, and three hours last evening after my last post without any problem.

Is it possible that unclicking automatic restart sort out this(?!), or the right question is why did blacks out on the first place?

Thanks, regards

Den

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
3 short beeps can be the video card not seated properly, so if after checking it, it has not restarted, things are at least improving

Maybe the criteria for automatic restart is different, in as much that it plays safe and reboots if there is a lesser danger to the hardware than anything which would make it blue screen

den01

den01

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
Thanks Keith,

I will leave it for now to see how it goes - hopefully without beeps.

Also, I am a bit curious regarding this problem: well as there were no error reports in event viewer to point on any specific fault, how than it’s possible to check (or where) what (and why) is the trigger for the restarts?

Regards,

Den

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If the beeps went when you checked the card, then they were for the card, which may have got looser until it went from restarting to beeping

You should have seen something in event viewer when it was restarting