Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC shuts down immediately after powering on

• Please log in to reply

dan2000

dan2000

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi,

I'm having a problem with an old desktop PC. I usually just leave the computer running all the time, but I shut it down a couple nights ago and cannot get it started again. When I flip the power switch to 'on', the computer starts to boot for a split second (fans start to run, LEDs light up, etc) before stopping completely. If I flip the switch off and then on again, absolutely nothing happens. However, if I unplug the computer, wait a minute or two, and plug it back in before reflipping the switch, I get the same split second of booting before dying. Has anyone come across a problem like this before? Any ideas for solving it? Thanks!

Advertisements

Longhorns242

Longhorns242

• PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
i just had that exact same problem. What you need to do is either
A. Reseat the heatsink
B.Apply New Thermal Compound between heatsink and cpu.

You may think the heatsink is in correctly but sometimes they are tricky and you will have to do it very slowly and very carefully