Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

PC shuts down immediately after powering on

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 1 posts

I'm having a problem with an old desktop PC. I usually just leave the computer running all the time, but I shut it down a couple nights ago and cannot get it started again. When I flip the power switch to 'on', the computer starts to boot for a split second (fans start to run, LEDs light up, etc) before stopping completely. If I flip the switch off and then on again, absolutely nothing happens. However, if I unplug the computer, wait a minute or two, and plug it back in before reflipping the switch, I get the same split second of booting before dying. Has anyone come across a problem like this before? Any ideas for solving it? Thanks!

• PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
i just had that exact same problem. What you need to do is either
A. Reseat the heatsink
B.Apply New Thermal Compound between heatsink and cpu.

You may think the heatsink is in correctly but sometimes they are tricky and you will have to do it very slowly and very carefully