Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need Expert Opinion

• Please log in to reply

Electricatwork

Electricatwork

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thanks for both responses. I do in fact have a Gateway computer with an OXN Motherboard. And it is going on 4 years old. I've ruled out the power supply so I agree fully it's something on the motherboard. Hissing sound is much louder today, but still not sure where it's coming from. Going to take a closer look once I post. Looks like its going to be fried. ;) I want to thank everyone for the responses I got. It has helped me a great deal. You don't know how much I appreciate it. Will be looking at this board for any other problem I might have. It's the best on the net so far! :tazz:

Advertisements

Electricatwork

Electricatwork

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Followup on this problem...it was three capacitors!!! Found three near the power supply all in a row. We are not sure what they are for, but all were bubbled out. My father repairs televisions and got capacitors for me. He installed them and the computer booted right up. Its been up all day and no auto booting, no freezing up, etc. Amazing!!! Thanks again for all your help.

Cryptie

Cryptie

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Good to hear! Be on the lookout although, on those oxnards the big 3 go first, then theres about another 4-5 that may go over time. Just keep it in mind if it starts acting up in another few months.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Yep thats pretty nice work I am pretty amazed you did not have to replace the mobo

Good luck Rick

Electricatwork

Electricatwork

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
We still are going to keep checking it because we figured something made them go like that. My dad said capacitors will do that on TV's just because the capacitor is bad. He said most of the time it's as simple as that. He has replaced capacitors on TV's and never hears from the people again. It's nice to have a dad who knows electronics!! ;) So I'm crossing my fingers! There are at least 5 more large capacitors and 5-6 small ones in there that I need to keep checking. In any case, if the computer keeps running for a few more months it will suit me just fine. Hopefully there will be no more problems for a while. Just to let you know, they were three 1500 microferrad (not sure on spelling and can't put the u symbol in), 10V, RXA 150 degree C, (M) L045. The computer is quiet now and runs much better. Its a noticable difference. It just amazes me that all we had to do was replace 3 capacitors that cost us $1.98 each!! My boss (who is my brother) is smiling!!! :tazz: