Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

background picture

• Please log in to reply

la terreur

la terreur

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
no, I don't have the dll error anymore. but when i was in the startup box, i noticed that ibm00001.exe wa slisted, one of the malware apps that i thought i had removed. i get an error message when i reboot saying something like windows is looking for that file.

looks like its more of a mlaware problem than background....

i also had a crash, with the stop message 0x0000008E, 0xc0000005, 0xAA4EE698, 0xA9864A28...

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Please follow the procedures outlined here: Malware Removal Guide

You will need a PC which can connect to the internet

Run all the programmes as advised then post a current Hijack This Log in a new topic in the Malware Forum

For the purpose of accurate malware analysis, Hijack This Logs are only dealt with in the Malware Forum. Posting them anywhere else will result in a delayed response

If you are unable to run any of the programmes, please ask for advice in the Malware Forum

Can you ask around to borrow a same version copy of XP in case you need to replace files with sfc /scannow or run a repair install

la terreur

la terreur

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
yes ill ask for the copy but i dont think i'll be able to get it before 2 weeks. either way i appreciate your help but ive already run every malware removal tool i could get my hands on, looking for help with ibm... and a few others on forums and doing what was listed

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Won't hurt to let the Malware Team look at it, if you need to replace files from a CD then you are stuck till then

As an outside chance, download and run this, importantly, install with the option to remember the current settings, and during the install, click extras, remove the tick for boot screen

http://xpero.msfn.org/?page=downloads

AitrusSkyy

AitrusSkyy

• PipPipPip
  • 330 posts
Well the #1 thing would be good to find out if you still have spyware, if you are sure you dont... you can try these 2 things....

#1 http://experts.about...-background.htm

#2 the reason you cannot change your background image, is because the spyware has disabled you allowing to do so via this registry line...

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\

Within this registry entry, usually you find something that says "disable" > the following, backgroundimg taskmgr, etc...

If someone can walk you through how to edit your registry, that would be good. It is a delicate matter. And spyware programs simply do it for you. But manually you need to remove this entry to be able to change your desktop...

If the key above doesnt have it, then possible the key below has it, or both.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\

AitrusSkyy

AitrusSkyy

• PipPipPip
  • 330 posts
Would one of you STAFF please look at the following file in this link... you can open it via wordpad and see what values it adds to registry... This should work...

DONT DO THIS unless STAFF APPROVES

http://www.kellys-ko...paperenable.reg

Taken from http://www.kellys-ko...m/xp_tweaks.htm

Edited by AitrusSkyy, 29 July 2006 - 12:37 PM.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Until you clean the computer from malware there is not much benefit in doing anything else. Take previous advice and post to the malware forum first.

la terreur

la terreur

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
thanks a lot everyone, it was still a malware problem. i ran all the anti-viruses listed in the malware removal guide and got everything back under control. i really appreciate all the help !

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Thanks for letting us know.