Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Trouble with a wireless setup between a Mac and a PC ---almost have it

• Please log in to reply

tennisgiant21

tennisgiant21

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
Ok, so I think I am very close to getting this wireless setup to work, and I'm pretty sure it just has to do with the settings of one of the computers.

Here is my setup: I have a Mac G5 running to the wireless router (straight wired connection), which runs to the DSL router. My plan is to have a Windows PC run wirelessly in another room. I can get Internet fine with the Mac running to the router, but my wireless machine cannot get internet.

The thing is, my PC is receiving a strong wireless signal, and when I go to the network status page, it says that I am connected to the internet. However, when I try to ping yahoo.com nothing shows up. I am pretty confident that my router settings are ok (Linksys WRT54G), DHCP is enabled, it allows up to 50 users, the firmware is all up to date.

So I am guessing the problem is in the PC somewhere? When I go into the Network Status page, and under options, and under Internet Protocol, I can either do 2 things: Let the IP and DNS be found automatically or enter it in manually. When I select automatic, the network status page now tells me I am not connected to the Internet, and the description stays stuck on "acquiring network address."
When I entered the IP address, default gateway, subnet masks, and DNS servers manually, the network status page changes. It now tells me I am connected to the internet, but I still cannot ping any site. If it helps,
my manually entered IP address is 192.168.1.101,
subnet mask is 255.255.255.0,
the default gateway is the router's IP which is 192.168.1.1,
and the 2 DNS servers are what was displayed on my router status page.

Also, I have tried ipconfig /release and renew, and also /flushdns, but to no avail.

Can anybody help me out? I would really appreciate it, thanks!

Advertisements

tennisgiant21

tennisgiant21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Is there nothing else that can be done? I know there is someone here who can figure it out! I know it can be fixed because 6 months ago, I had the same wireless setup between the same two computers, and it worked fine. So strange that it doesnt work now. Is Greazy still on here? He helped me last year, and I guarantee he can fix this. Please help!

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
Hello, sometimes there is a simple fix for this, before I tell you to do anything detailed to fix your computer, try this...

Open Internet Explorer on the Windows XP machine, click Tools > Internet Options. On the window that comes up, look for the Connections Tab and click it. Click Lan settings now TICK Automatically detect settings. Click OK twice, and reboot the computer, now try to connect to the internet.

Good luck

~Sam

tennisgiant21

tennisgiant21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Hi Sam,

I followed your instructions, but I still couldn't connect.

I was wondering though, do I need to have autodetect settings on, even though the only way for my wireless adapter to connect is to manually configure my IP address?

I am just wondering because on the LAN settings page, it warns me that automatic settings may override manual settings.

The reason why I am trying to configure IP and DNS manually is because 6 months ago, I had the same setup with the same two computers, and everything worked fine when the settings for IP and DNS were entered manually.

The second reason is because if I change IP/DNS settings to be automatic, when I repair my wireless connection, it can no longer connect. (It gets stuck on "aqcuiring network address" on the status page) Whereas when I manually enter IP/DNS, I am able to successfully connect wirelessly according to the status page, but cant connect to any website.

P.S. under automatic IP/DNS settings, when the status page is stuck on "acquiring network address", there is another message that says "renewing IP address...." So it seems like the router is unable to send IP addresses to the wireless PC.

Edited by tennisgiant21, 01 August 2006 - 07:06 PM.