Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

restarting, restarting, restarting, restarting

• Please log in to reply

cobbler69

cobbler69

• Pip
  • 1 posts
My daughters, 3 of them have their own computer that they share. The problem is that now they contracted something that causes the system to restart every 2 minutes. I tried to format (thats the only technical word I know for wiping the hard drive and starting from birth). Got the xp disc to start but, well you know, it restarted. Went to safe mode and waited, you guessed it, restarted. What might be the problem? I am thinking that I might have to buy a new hard drive. They do a lot of music and pictures but that is going to be limited after we fix the thing. Is this a common problem or virus and can I still format the hard drive. If I put in a new hard drive do I need the original discs that came with the computer. :whistling:
Thank you kindly for any help.
Cobbler69

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
It might be that the CPU is overheating, causing the computer to shut itself to avoid damage to the CPU. Enter BIOS by doing the following: When you start the computer, the moment you see something on the screen, tap repeatedly the DEL key. This will open the BIOS. Look for hardware monitor or something of the same nature and look for CPU temp and CPU fan speed. Report your finds.

If DEL doesn't do the job then look on the screen to find the key that should be pressed to start setup.