Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

The Infavous Blue Screen!

• Please log in to reply

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Hello everyone. I got my blue screen of death again today, this time while adding a contact to my Trillian IM service. I have searched the Event Log, and found something in security I'd like to share...

Logon attempt by: MICROSOFT_AUTHENTICATION_PACKAGE_V1_0
Logon account: Flame
Source Workstation: DONNIE
Error Code: 0xC000006A

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft....link/events.asp.

Does anyone know what this is? I think this is the issue that's causing Blue Screens. I'll try looking at microsoft, but I don't know if that'll help much. Please help! :blink:

EDIT: Just wanted to say sorry for the typo in the subject :whistling:

Edited by Stormknight6, 29 July 2006 - 01:41 PM.

Advertisements

Pi rules

Pi rules

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
I believe that happens because Windows XP attempts to logon (limited access) to the accounts on the PC to see if they have a password. I'm guessing the logon account listed has a password? This shouldn't cause a blue screen as far as I know. Are there any errors in the Event Viewer under System?

Which BSOD are you getting? Any drivers listed?

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 2,989 posts
I thought I saw IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, but I turned it off as fast as I could. I'll check under system and report back.

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Ok, I looked, and the only other thing was:

The system failed to flush data to the transaction log. Corruption may occur.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft....link/events.asp.

The words it says in that bottom box are:

0000: 00000000 00be0001 00000002 80040039
0010: 00000000 c000000e 00000000 00000000
0020: 00000000 00000000

No clue if it helps, but that's all I have. The rest of the errors are just TCPIP, which must be when the computer starts and tries to find the IP address, becuase I never lose connection.

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Admins and mods please forgive me for triple posting, however, we have an update. I just got it again. It was in fact IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL and I got two numbers from the bottom...

0X00000014

0X00000002

What can this mean?! I'm getting them randomly!

Pi rules

Pi rules

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
For the "failed to flush data..." one, do you have an external hard drive?

What are the 0x00000014 and 0x00000002? Are these in parenthesis after STOP: 0x0000000A (0x00000014, 0x00000002, ...)?

Are there any drivers listed (usually end in .sys)? This can be due to faulty memory, so please run a memory test listed in my signature.

Did you recently install any new hardware and/or software? Drivers? Please make sure all your drivers are updated.

PS: I'm sorry it took so long, I had to work late last night and early this morning.

Edited by Pi rules, 30 July 2006 - 01:10 PM.

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Don't worry about how long it took you, as all replies are appreciated :whistling:

Yes, I do have an external hard disk, which I thought was causing that error in the event log, but I was not sure. I did unplug it from the computer, which in turn triggered that alert. The blue screen happened after much time had passed however.

Yes, 0x00000014 and 0x00000002 come after STOP:

I do not recall any changes being made to the system. I first started seeing these a few days ago shortly after installing the new Yahoo! Messenger BETA. Once I got my first blue screen, I uninstalled it under suspicion that it was causing system instability. I have since removed it and switched back to the stable version. I have added software since, but nothing that should cause issues.

No, no drivers or hardware have been istalled recently. I'm sure some of them could be updated, but I'm not sure that all of a sudden things would stop working properly. Video drivers are about a year or so old.

Pi rules

Pi rules

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
The error is caused by a removable drive when you don't use the "safely remove hardware" shortcut in the taskbar/notification area. It's probably best to use it, because that error comes when XP tries to write something to it (or is in the process) and can't find it.

I would update the video driver first and test RAM to see if it is the cause.

If you get it again, would you please look to see if there is a driver or file listed?

Does this happen without the external drive plugged in?

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 2,989 posts
I will check the memory and report back. I'll see if I can get the drivers done sometime too. I hate doing those (bad experience once).

Should I use memtest you think?

I can't say if the blue screens always happen when the HD is plugged in... Never took notice.

I will pay closer attention for drivers listed.

Pi rules

Pi rules

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
OK. I like Microsoft's memory test (link in my sig, 2nd line down I believe), but it's up to you.

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 2,989 posts
The Memtest seems to show that it's all fine.

Pi rules

Pi rules

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
OK, that's one less possiblity. I guess we get to wait to see if a driver is listed.

In the meantime, please try to update the most important device drivers and leave the external hard drive unplugged if possible.

Also, try a temperature monitoring tool like Motherboard Monitor to see if your CPU is overheating.

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Thanks for the reply. Will keep you updated on any news.