Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

2nd HD gone

• Please log in to reply

amw_drizz

amw_drizz

• PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
Hey All,

My computer took a crap on my a week ago and im finally getting around to getting it running again. but when i installed my 2nd 320 gb hd, i used the windows disk manager, and now i cannot access any data on the drive, and windows now sees it as corrput drive, but i know the drive works, just windows wont recognize the drive and that it is formatted NTFS.

so is there a way that i can reintialize the drive so i can all my data back? cause the drive has alot of data i really cannot afford to loose. so if you know how or a way i can get the data back that would be helpfull.

o and btw, i've tried partition magic, and it tells me the EZ-Drive on Drive 1 is curropt, and im trying to find the patch software Symantec mentioned.

Thanks for your help.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
The EZ-drive overlay software allows some older PCs to use modern large hard disks. Without EZ-drive installed, Windows won't be able to 'see' the drive. Since EZ-drive is corrupted, it effectively isn't installed so your large second drive can't be seen by the system. You need to re-install the EZ-drive software.

I'm not sure what you mean about a 'patch mentioned by Symantec'. A patch won't fix corrupted software. You need to re-install EZ-drive if you still have it.

amw_drizz

amw_drizz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
is there a way of which i can reinstall the software with out formatting the drive??? cause all the ways i have seen soo far require me formatting the drive.

i was using this drive with out problem till i reinstalled windows xp mce, ever since it has not worked(well seen).

i used the Drive manager in windows xp mce, i think that is my first mistake.

amw_drizz

amw_drizz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
well does any one know how to install ez-drive software without formatting the drive???

nickyboy1

nickyboy1

• PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Hey All,

My computer took a crap on my a week ago and im finally getting around to getting it running again. but when i installed my 2nd 320 gb hd, i used the windows disk manager, and now i cannot access any data on the drive, and windows now sees it as corrput drive, but i know the drive works, just windows wont recognize the drive and that it is formatted NTFS.

so is there a way that i can reintialize the drive so i can all my data back? cause the drive has alot of data i really cannot afford to loose. so if you know how or a way i can get the data back that would be helpfull.

o and btw, i've tried partition magic, and it tells me the EZ-Drive on Drive 1 is curropt, and im trying to find the patch software Symantec mentioned.

Thanks for your help.

You may have dirt on your system. If your using NTFS, try strat run cmd, at the prompt type chkntfs d: if the result come back with D: is dirty try running CHKDSK on that drive. I'm having a simular problem with my D drive, chkdsk didn't clear my prob but it may clear yours. When I find how to reset the dirty bit I'll post

amw_drizz

amw_drizz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
i cannot open the volume for direct access, so right now the drive is just sitting in the computer doing nothing.

so if anyone can help with this, i cannot afford to loose the data on the drive, way too much personal files on it.