Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Disappearing Start up menu and icons

• Please log in to reply

sally7

sally7

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hi
I.m not very computer savvy.Yesterday i saw that my son had loaded msn Messengeer on my computer and the pop up messages were annoying me so I decided to delete it.OOps I think I deleted internet explorer instead.When I turn my computer on it loads windows and then my screensaver(my dog) comes on but nothing elsethe start button does flash very briefly on then is gone for good!!I've tried going to task manager but it doesn't seem to help..or else..more likely I don't know what I'm doing. My computer will take me to save mode but all i get in all categories is the safe mode lettering in the four corners.I know my programs are running in there,but I can't get at them very frustrated. When I try to get the internet with task manager all I get is a message saynig not possible file must be corrupted or something like that .I'm not at my computer right now and I.m using the computer at work so cannot give exact message. No other error messages ever pop up.I also tried reinstalling windows XP WITH SP,but it didn't bring back my strartup or icons.Please can someone advise me?? I really need my computer for my work and buying a new one is definatly not in the budget.Sorry this has been so long winded but I'm not sure how to shorten it up.Thanks in advance.SALLY

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you press the ctrl + alt + delete keys together, do you get task manager, if yes, click file, new task, type explorer.exe and click OK, do you get the desktop

sally7

sally7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hi tried that with no success.thanks,tho.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
In task manager, click file, new task, type sfc /scannow (with the space) and press enter

How did you go about re-installing XP

sally7

sally7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Thanks,again I will for sure try that when I return home.Sally

sally7

sally7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hi I tried all your fixes but nothing worked I stayed up all night trying different things (you know the definition of insanity...yep that's me.I still get the picture of my dog and the startup menu pops up very briefly and then disappears!! I can only go so far in Safemode about the only one that works is the command prompt and being as I don't know any commands I'm kinda sol.
Please come up with a wonder solutions I know my computer is runing in there somewhere but I cant get at anything but the task manager .Sally

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You can use this guide to repair XP

Possibly, you will need to press the start button and keep tapping the delete key, (possibly F2) until the PC enters set up. Change the boot order to CD ROM Drive then hard drive, press F10 then press enter, load the XP CD then type Y then press enter, as it reboots, look for press any key to load from CD, press enter

You will need your XP product key to complete this

The XP Product Key is a 25 character alpha numerical code, which does not include the sequence OEM

If you have audio / video files which are subject to DRM you should check with the provider for known issues with performing an XP repair install

XP Repair Install

Windows XP repair feature won't delete your data, installed programs, personal information, or settings. It just repairs the operating system

The XP repair install will look and run as a normal install, however, you must not see a request to format the drive

After running XP Repair you will need to install all Windows Updates

Microsoft Update

sally7

sally7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hi, I think I solved my problem.i stumbled on a way to uninstall XP and got back to the basic windows 98, then i was able to do some damge control and reinstalled XP ,so far so good except that I have to install all my "stuff" again...whatever,I'm just happy to be up and running again, with no big bill!! Thank you all for help-it really was appreciated. Sally C.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Thank You for letting me know