Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Repairing Win XP Home

• Please log in to reply

Geekydude

Geekydude

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I am trying to repair Windows XP Home Ed. with the startup disc. I go through all the procedures until it says it will reboot the computer. I have read that you should wait after it reboots and says "press key to boot from cd" and it will continue loading the repair procedure. BUT... when it says "press key to boot from cd..." nothing happens, it just hangs. :tazz:

Advertisements

Cryptie

Cryptie

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
You might want to double check that the machine is set to boot to the hard disk after the cd. I've seen a couple machines where the hard drive is actually disabled as a boot device and that can cause that to happen.

Geekydude

Geekydude

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks, I will check and see if it isn't booting the hd, (but I think it is.) :tazz:

Geekydude

Geekydude

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Nope. After the CD drive, the harddrive is supposed to load. :tazz:

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts

I am trying to repair Windows XP Home Ed. with the startup disc. I go through all the procedures until it says it will reboot the computer. I have read that you should wait after it reboots and says "press key to boot from cd" and it will continue loading the repair procedure. BUT... when it says "press key to boot from cd..." nothing happens, it just hangs.  :tazz:

View Post

just so I know what you're talking about...what procedure?

Geekydude

Geekydude

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Sorry. :tazz: . I meant all the directions that the boot disc told me to do, while repairing.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Just so we're on the same page, follow these directions

http://www.geekstogo...ws_XP-t138.html