Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Mind boggling "[folder] is not accessable. Access Denied" on

• Please log in to reply

Henchman

Henchman

• Pip
  • 5 posts
This one is really irking me. I have a home network (workgroup) all PC's are using Windows XP Professional. I have a shared folder with a bunch of subfolders in them, and more folders within those folders. I am able to access the main folder, and even the folders within those folders. but the folders in those folders, I can only access SOME of them. Mainly they are folders that I created a few months ago that I can access. But any folders I recently created, I cannot access them over the network. What these folders have in common (ALL of the folders) are that they are all things I downloaded with utorrent.
I have utorrent set with labels, meaning when I download something, it automatically places those files into the correct folder. ie applications goes into the Application folder within the shared folder. TV shows into a TV folder, music into an Audio folder, etc. etc.. So I figured maybe it was because I was seeding, so I stopped seeding. Still no access. Then I thought if I removed the .torrent from utorrent. Same thing. Finally I thought it was because utorrent was still running (despite no seeding or the folder in questions files no longer on my seed list). so I shut it down. Still can't access. And one more thing I tried was not even having utorrent start when my pc starts. and restarting all of the computers. Nada.
What bugs me most is that Everything in all of those folders were at one time downloaded with utorrent. I didn't upgrade the program or make any other changes. It used to work like a charm, and as I said before some of the files that I downloaded a while back that are in the same Shared folder I have no problem accessing, running, copying, moving, or anything else you should be able to do. What gives here. Why is it that I can access older folders and cannot access newer ones. Keep in mind that when I downloaded the files a few months ago, I was always able to access them and still can, using the same utorrent program with the same settings, labeling and all.

Edited by Henchman, 31 July 2006 - 12:02 PM.

Advertisements

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
Are you having a utorrent error or a windows error that is saying access is denied?

Henchman

Henchman

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
It is a Windows error on any computer but the one that the files are actually stored on

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
You can go to the source computer, and right click on the top most folder that is above the folders you are having problems with. Set the permissions that you want on the security tab, then go to Advanced then check the box that says replace permissions on all child objects, then ok out of the screens and try again.

Henchman

Henchman

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Ya know what's wierd, if I move the file or folder to another folder, then back into the folder I took it out of, I have no problem accessing the file or folder. So I guess it's just some wierd utorrent thing.

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
sounds like when you first put the files there they didnt propagate the permissions correctly, but when you moved them back they took just fine.

computers are sometimes difficult to deal with.

Henchman

Henchman

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Ai't that the truth. Thanks for the recommendations. Now if only I can find a small app that can move something automatically from one folder to another and then back again.

Edited by Henchman, 31 July 2006 - 04:04 PM.