Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Virtual Memory problem?

• Please log in to reply

drmull

drmull

• PipPip
  • 54 posts
Hello - I tried to open my scanner software and was told there was "insufficient" memory. I opened task manager to have a look. I thought I remembered reading somewhere that if the peak commit charge number is greater than the total physical memory there's a problem. Is that correct?

The page file usage is 2.28GB. Isn't that excessively high? At one point I was getting some of those "low virtual memory" errors. I may have gone in and increased the virtual memory but I can't remember (ironic).

Please have a look at this screenshot and tell me if these numbers are way out of whack. Thanks!

Posted Image

UPDATE

I went in and set virtual memory max to 1000K. See if the physical memory numbers look better now - thanks for any help!

Posted Image

Edited by drmull, 31 July 2006 - 12:18 PM.

Advertisements

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Your page file size should be set to 1.5 X your physical memory. You don't by chance have an HP scanner, do you?
Johanna

drmull

drmull

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
Johanna - No HP scanner. It's a Canon MP500.

I guess I don't really understand the virtual memory concept. Why did my available physical memory double when I reduced the virtual memory max? I would think the physical memory is always available, no matter what.

Thanks