Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Numerous Computer Problems

• Please log in to reply

Quari

Quari

• PipPip
  • 60 posts
Hi - I had originally posted of my problems in these forums but had been asked to transfer my troubles to the Malware forums, upon doing so I was told that none of my problems are malware related and that I should return my problems here - so, with a greater description of what's going wrong, I'm back here to try and get some help.

My computer is currently suffering terrible problems - sometimes, I can just log on and, before I've been able to do anything, it will crash. The internet regularly fails to connect and even my Windows Media Player had not been working (it is now okay) - in general the system is slow, unresponsive, programs take an age to open and my computer is prone to crashes or other problems which result in me having to restart - such as the disappearance of the start bar or certain windows spreading themselves multiple times across the entire screen when I try to move them; I took this picture of this happening: http://img284.images...ecolor01xi4.jpg

When attempting to run an ewido scan to combat these problems myself - I was greeted with a blue screen which read:
http://img278.images...color01buz0.jpg

I repeated this scan and received the same blue screen so repeated it yet again in "Safe Mode" and although no blue screen was encountered - the scanner found no problems. The appearance of these blue screens is not rare either - just today one came up for no apparent reason while I was browsing the internet.

Also, ocasionally whenever I am logging off of my Windows XP area or shutting the computer down I am told that "NSESRCWP.EXE - DLL" and "SHLWSOCK.EXE - DLL" "failed to initialize because the windows station is shutting down". Furthermore, I am shown a loading bar to "End Program ccApp" at the same time. I am unsure what any of this is and it comes up frequently whenever I log off/shut down.

Edited by Quari, 31 July 2006 - 12:24 PM.

Advertisements

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Well, let's start with the easiest fixes first, and move up the ladder. Do you have your XP disk? I would like you do try an SFC (system file check)
Start > Run > cmd then type
sfc /scannow (note the space)
You will be prompted for your XP disk.

sfc - system file checker, retrieves the correct version of the file from %Systemroot%\System32\Dllcache or the Windows installation source files, and then replaces the incorrect file.

If you want to see what was replaced, right click My Computer > manage, expand event viewer > system.

System File Checker (sfc)
Scans and verifies the versions of all protected system files after you restart your computer.

Johanna

ccApp is from Norton, and hanging at shutdown is, sigh, normal.
(whew...that window tiling made me dizzy!)

Quari

Quari

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
Hi Johanna - thanks so much for your quick response!

I completed the scan, using my XP disk as requested. When looking under the "System" tab within the Event Viewer to see what was replaced I noticed that there are quite a few files with a red signal and the word "error" under the file type and some with a yellow sign and the word "warning" under the file type - I'm pretty sure this is just the type of file and is nothing to worry about but I want to be sure...

Thanks again, I look forward to completing whatever else you've got up your sleeve!

Edited by Quari, 31 July 2006 - 12:54 PM.

Quari

Quari

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
Hi sorry for the double post but, as well as the above problems, a new message has come to my attention when I am closing down windows. It is a loading bar to end the task "____PTAWIA" similar to the one you explained as being by Norton...

Thanks again.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Have you rebooted your computer since doing the System File Check? Are you still having the same issues? How do you connect to the internet? Have you recently added or removed any hardware? Can you send a post a screencap of some of the red errors from the log? It would help to know what they were. The more info you can give us, the easier it is to narrow down what's wrong.
Johanna

Quari

Quari

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
Here's a screencap of some of the errors, as I'm sure you'll understand it's impossible to show you every one due to the sheer number of files:

http://img476.images...58/errorhc7.jpg

In that pictures, as is shown, the source of the errors are noted as the "cdrom" - other errors have their sources noted as "Service Control Manager", "DCOM", "Print" and "System Error". Here's another screen showing some more of the errors:

http://img347.images...2/error2ux3.jpg

I have a dial-up broadband connection using a DSL modem - I rebooted my computer and although it seems that most of the problems are gone it is still relatively sluggish and unresponsive - it did crash earlier when I was attempting to access some picture files. I have not installed or uninstalled any new hardware recently. The loading bar to close the task "____PTAWIA" made a reapparance earlier...

Thanks!

Edited by Quari, 01 August 2006 - 06:19 PM.

Quari

Quari

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
Hey again - just to let you know I have since found out what the "PTAWIA" task was, it was to do with the software for my Kodak camera lingering at shutdown - I have configured the programme not to run at startup anymore, hopefully this will get rid of the problem.

Unfortunately still, when I was using my computer earlier it stalled and lagged continuously for approximately five minutes while I was accessing my files as normal... it's getting there but still not great.

Thanks.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
When is the last time you ran a disk clean up or Defrag? If the problem is bothersome, you might want to try a repair install of Windows, but i would back up all my data first as a precaution. When the computer is acting sluggish, right click in the taskbar and pull up the task manager. Check is a particular application or process is using an inordinate amount of resources. Maybe there is a conflict?
Johanna

Quari

Quari

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
Hi - is there a way I can use the recovery disk to repair Windows without putting my data at risk? I'm willing to back it up if I have to, of course. How exactly would I go about "repairing" Windows then after I've backed up my data...?

Thank you!

Edited by Quari, 02 August 2006 - 06:45 AM.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
http://www.michaelst...pairinstall.htm

Theoretically, you shouldn't *have* to back up your data first, but there is always a chance...better safe than sorry.
Info on backing up here:
http://www.johannank.../Backing up.htm

Post back and let us know how everything works out, please.
Johanna

Advertisements

Quari

Quari

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
Hi, I've scanned through both the links and am willing to go through with the repair. Just one thing - what would you reccommend as the easiest option to back up my data?

Thanks.

AitrusSkyy

AitrusSkyy

• PipPipPip
  • 330 posts
Burning is probably out of the ? since your cdrom may have been own3d.

I would reccomend going through with the windows repair. I have done this more than 30 times of various PCS and it has worked everytime.

The only issue I ever had in doing a repair, was once it froze up on a pc during the windows installing, I simply left the cd in and didnt touch a thing, couple hours later a window popped up... etc...

The good news is, if it does freeze up, you can shut off power, restart and windows will install from where it left off.

As for backing stuff up, if you have a second hard drive around that is handy, pop it in and transfer...

Only backup the files you cant replace, if its programs you can always get them back.

But windows repair hardly ever fails.

Quari

Quari

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
I'm preparing to go through with this - would any be able to provide me with a link where I can find all up to date Windows Updates so that I can install them all once I've completed the repair?

Thanks for your help!

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Some of the MS updates are cumulative, so just visit the Windows Update site and let it tell you what it wants you to have. Reboot and do it again until it says there are no more. If you do a "repair" you probably won't need to get updates you don't already have.

I have done repairs where it didn't, and lost the C drive, which is why I am suggesting that you back up anything that means anything to you before you put that XP disk in and boot from it. Yes, many times all will go fine, but it seems that the risk is proportionate with the value of the data. If you can't stand the thought of losing it, back it up. Easiest way? An external hard drive, IMHO.
Johanna

AitrusSkyy

AitrusSkyy

• PipPipPip
  • 330 posts
Johanna did you do the repair console and have it fail a couple of times, or did you do the winxp filerestore from the cd bootup... ( the second option of restore when booting from the cd )

Im just intrested to know if the second windows auto repair has failed via the cd, need to add it to my knowledge if it is so :whistling: