Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Installing Norton Internet Security

• Please log in to reply

JEM2

JEM2

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi -
I bought NIS '06, started to install and got an incompatibility message re: spybot. Then found a lot of horror tales online of people unable to install it and messing up their computers in the process. I was hoping to find info about 'doing it right' on your site but came up empty handed (except for this about uninstalling: http://www.geekstogo...ternet security .) Maybe I didn't search right? The info I got from another site said to 'use regedit' or 'do a clean install,' and to also back up the OS without Norton installed. Plus to completely remove any old firewalls 'including registries and ini's'... I don't know how to do this and was hoping you could lend a hand, guide me a bit. I currently have NIS '05 installed and also use a wireless router.

Also, my computer's really slow despite regular defragging and some folks seemed to think NIS causes serious slowness. I have a toshiba m35-s320 running XP and I use Firefox. Wondering if you know anything to do about that.

Thanks!!

Edited by JEM2, 31 July 2006 - 04:41 PM.

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
well there isn't a "do it right" guide for installing software except whats provided by the software vendor.

Norton has a known issue with spybot. periodically they will flag it as spyware when it is not. Running a liveupdate normally cures this.

If you hadn't already purchased 2006, I would have advised against it. Unless symantec announces some major new feature or improvment you normally can go 2-3 years before upgrading thier products. Running liveupdate periodically to keep the product updated is all you normally need to do.

What are your system specs (how fast, how much memory, how much free space on the hard drive).

Edited by starjax, 04 August 2006 - 09:20 AM.

JEM2

JEM2

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
1.5 GHz Pentium
60 GB HDD and 512 MB
Available physical memory: 98 MB
Available virtual memory: 664 MB

Just noticing this, not sure why I only have 20% available memory... I don't have much stuff that ought to be taking up space, except photos and email. Seems like a lot of programs are running in the background all the time when I do an alt/control/delete.

Anyway, though, the things I mentioned in my message that other folks had suggested doing before installing NIV... would you be able to let me know how to do them -- or where to find instructions on the web somewhere? I tried to find info but came up empty-handed. Thanks so much for your time.