Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Formatting a clean computer

• Please log in to reply

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Yes, using autonuke, everything on the drive is erased so XP can only see it as an empty drive

You can have the boot order set for CD ROM then hard drive for both

If you click using boot and nuke, it explains the programme

Advertisements

Tru Techie

Tru Techie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts
k so i burned the cd version as a boot cd. then i pop it in. turn on the computer and...............Starting Caldera DR-DOS

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You will see that with boot and nuke, then you will have the option to type autonuke

Tru Techie

Tru Techie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts
still very confused. k so far wat im doing is. computer starts, caldera dr-dos starts, then on A: i type in D:, then Autonuke, and nothing happens, i no im doing something wrong. plz gimme steps keith.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You should only type autonuke when it has loaded, that is the only thing typed

Click using boot and nuke in post 28

Tru Techie

Tru Techie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts
ok, its now autonuking. thanx keith, ill report back ASAP, with the full solution.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
So, it runs 3 passes, showing 100% for each, then says press enter for something which isn't necessary, though press it anyway and it will say, no can do, change the disc for the XP CD, press ctrl + alt + delete keys together to reboot, look for press any key to load from CD, press enter

You should only see set up is inspecting etc

Tru Techie

Tru Techie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts
if and when it works, ill come back and give full solution.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
IF??? :whistling:

coffeedrinker

coffeedrinker

• PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
Hey Techie

There's no IF's about it. Keith says it gonna work.

IT's GONNA WORK.

:-)

Advertisements

Tru Techie

Tru Techie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts
well, congrats keith....it didnt work. it finished scan, i put in xp cd, rebooted, and BAM!......starting caldera dr-dos.

what im thinkiing of doing is, taking one of my already formatted hard drives from my other computer, putting it here, and doesnt have dr-dos (as far as im aware) and if it persists, then its definitely the mobo, in which case....should i reset the cmos or wat?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Or see if you can install anything on this drive when it is in another PC

coffeedrinker

coffeedrinker

• PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
Tru Techie

You're helping so many people here, even me with my password trouble (Which I thank you) and yet we can't get your computer up and running.

Got me puzzled. What Keith said made sense. I checked with a friend that runs Linux and even he said they call it Nuke for a reason. It will nuke it and problem solved. But apparently not.

Just feel bad about it. At first it sounded so minor, but these things grow fast.

Good luck

Tru Techie

Tru Techie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts
dun wry bout it. we'll get it running no problem.

and keith about installing xp on the hard drive on the other computer, wouldnt that not work. because if im installng it on one computer, wouoldnt it NOT work on a nother, because the mobos and stuff are dfferent.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You could set it as a slave drive to see if you can transfer data to it

Even if you load it as the master and try to install XP, whatever you manage to put on there won't be staying on it because it will be going back to its own PC, but if it gives the same error then it's probably the drive rather than anything else on the PC