Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System Unable to access games.inf

• Please log in to reply

Nostalgia

Nostalgia

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Alrighty, another problem.

When I try to access the uninstall windows components program (Control panel > add/remove programs > windows components thing) I get the following message:

System Unable to access games.inf

Then an error tells me that it can't be opened.

I removed all of the built in windows games, and I'd rather not put them all back. Is there a quick fix for this?

Thank you for your help.
I'll be in debt to you guys after tonight. :whistling:

Advertisements

Pi rules

Pi rules

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
Welcome! :blink:

That .inf file is a configuration file that holds some settings (directory, installation files, uninstallation, etc) for MS games that are optionally installed on XP. Your XP CD should have the file so follow these steps to get it:
Please go to Start | Run and type cmd.exe. Then, type expand D:\i386\games.in_ %systemroot%\inf\games.inf.

Please make sure to replace D with your CD drive letter.

Good luck! :whistling:

Nostalgia

Nostalgia

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks a bunch! I've made progress. A few more inf files came up as missing, but I followed the same steps and it took care of them.

But now I get "Setup library zoneoc.dll could not be loaded, or function ZoneSetupProc could not be found."

Not sure where to go from here.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
Do you have a valid XP cd?

If so, place it in your CD ROM drive and follow the instructions below

Start > Run > cmd then type

sfc /scannow (note the space)

let this run untill you get a message saying it is complete.

SFC - system file checker, retrieves the correct version of the file from %Systemroot%\System32\Dllcache or the Windows installation source files, and then replaces the incorrect file.

If you want to see what was replaced, right click My Computer > manage, expand event viewer > system.

Nostalgia

Nostalgia

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thank you for the quick reply.

C:\Documents and Settings\John>sfc /scannow
Windows File Protection could not initiate a scan of protected system files.

The specific error code is 0x000004dd [The operation being requested was not per
formed because the user has not logged on to the network.
The specified service does not exist.
].

I do have administrator rights, so I'm not sure what user they are talking about.

Any ideas?

Pi rules

Pi rules

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
I cannot find much on that error, so please try the following:
Try going to Start | Run and type sfc /purgecache and try it again. If that doesn't work, try it on the next boot by typing sfc /scanonce.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
also try the scan from safe mode logged in as the TRUE administrator (press ctrl alt del at the screen where you select y our user and enter administrator as the user name and nothing as the password...unless you know this password)

Nostalgia

Nostalgia

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
None of the scans seemed to have worked. I keep getting the same error.

I did work around the problem, but this is probably a bad way to deal with problems...

I just went to C:\Windows\inf and opened sysoc.inf. After making a backup of this file, I simply deleted all entries that were giving me a problem (I figured if it can't find a reference to the file, it won't know it needs it.).

It worked like a charm (so far).

If I experience any problems with this fix, I'll certainly come back here and let everyone know.

If you know this will result in a problem, by all means tell me.

Thanks again for all your help. I really appreciate it.