Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Corrupted MSIE, I think?

• Please log in to reply

AndriaD

AndriaD

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I'm finally back on the www after a 2-day "vacation" from it, courtesy of what I think was a corrupted browser, MSIE 6 that comes installed with XP Pro SP2 -- it worked fine, then all of a sudden, it didn't -- but email still worked fine, likewise TRACERT and PING in a cmd window, and after 2 huffy emails to my server's tech support and 2 calls to my ISP's tech support, it was narrowed down to the point that it nearly had to be the browser -- but even reinstalling it didn't fix it. My ISP's install disk for the DSL service also contained a copy of Netscape (bleh) which I installed, and lo, it worked! Sort of. So I downloaded and installed Opera and am now ready after 7 yrs to rid myself of the constant security hassles of Microsoft's internet software -- so, can anyone recommend a decent (ie, free!) POP3 email client, to replace Outlook Express, and hopefully with some available utils to convert/import OE's existing mail and address books? I have about 4-5 yrs of old email stored away, and I wouldn't have kept it this long if it wasn't important, so I'd kinda like to be able to view it in a new mail client -- likewise my address book.

Thx much!
Andria

Advertisements

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
OE was never meant for storage. It will bog down when overloaded. Do a search for .dbx files and back them up somewhere. Your Windows Address book is "wab", do a search for it and back it up, too.

Why have you waited so long to install SP2? Regardless of what browser or email client you want to use, we need to get IE and OE working properly because they are an integral part of XP, and if they aren't acting right, you are likely to have other troubles with other browsers and email clients. What security software do you use?
Johanna

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
If I'm not mistaken (might be though, 'cos I don't use them anymore) I think the Firefox people have a POP3 email application called 'Thunderbird' here: http://www.mozilla.com/products/

And Opera has one built into it's browser I think?? (OperaMail).