Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem Opening My Files

• Please log in to reply

Tyson83

Tyson83

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi everyone, I have a big problem with my computer I am hoping someone will be able to help me with, I'm a bit of a beginning but i'll try to be as clear as possible.

When I turned on my computer tonight all my desktop icons bar a few showed up as .exe files and when I clicked on them I received an error message saying "Windows cannot open this file" and then went on to say "Use the web service to find the appropriate program" or "Select the program from a list".

Using the web to find the "appropriate program" did not work - I just got a blank page or it did not know the program.

Unfortunately I cannot open any of my system checking programs at the moment but I did AdAware and Nortons scans last week and cleared some ads and had no viruses that it picked up.

I use an HP Compaq nx9000 laptop running Windows XP.

I hope someone has some suggestions to get my system running again.

Thanks, Tyson.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Have you recently run a spyware removal tool? If so, what was present that you removed?

Tyson83

Tyson83

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi thanks for your reply. I have showed my ignorance here a little bit, I should have posted that I can't run any programs rather than I can't open any files as I posted originally.

I ran a norton's check last week which came up empty and an adaware last week which to me just had the usual things.

The problem is I can't run anti virus, spyware or hijack programs now when I obviously do have a problem because i can't run any programs - I just get a "Windows can't open this" error message.

Please help me! Thanks.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
This is an odd problem that I ran into twice in the past month. For one, I actually was able to get my hands on the machine and solved it, but I had a hard time with the other one as the person would make a post, wait 2 days before returning. Never resolved it due to the lag. Still waiting on another email....sigh.

First thing...windows xp HOME or Pro?

Second, are you the sole user or are there multiple users on the machine.

If there are multiple users, can you log in as them and does the problem recur?

Can you log in as administrator? Does the problem recur?

Can you log in in safe mode? Does the problem recur?

Please answer the above questions.

Tyson83

Tyson83

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I am using Windows XP Pro 2002.

There are multiple users - myself and administrator (also myself, long story!)

Logging in under my name and administrator's name results in the same problem.

I do not know how to log in in safe mode - can you help me with that?

I will be as quick as possible with my replies barring problems with time difference.

From what I can gather it might be a problem with the registry but I'm not sure.

Thanks for your help.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
tap the f8 key as your computer is booting (counting memory).

You will see a text menu. Choose safe mode.

Also, see if you can go into Control Panel as either you or administrator use and create a new profile, or go to a command line interface and create one START > ALL PROGRAMS > ACCESSORIES > COMMAND PROMPT) and type

net user temp /add

This will create a new user account called "temp" with a blank password

Does the problem recreate with the new account? (trying to determine if you have a local machine policy in place, or corrupt user profiles for the existing two profiles---unlikely, but this should answer that question if TEST account also has same problem we can probably then move on to determine if you have a nasty spyware/malware infection that has enabled certain restrictive group policies.

Also, you cannot run programs from the DESKTOP, but can you run them from elsewhere? Start Menu? A test folder on the C drive?

Tyson83

Tyson83

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
OK, the problem still occurs in safe mode.

I can't open either user accounts or command prompt to create another another user account - I just get the 'Windows can't open this'.

I can't run programs from Start Menu, desktop, floppies etc. - I can however open documents and pictures.

I hope this narrows it down a bit, thanks again for your help.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
wow, that is a little different from the last one....ok, can you CTRL-ALT-DEL and get into task manager?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
oh, and do you have a windows cd?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
another thought

right click the link and save it to your desktop.

http://mywebpages.co.../gerryf/run.bat

this is just a simple batch file that will open a command line box with cmd.exe

then do the same with this

http://mywebpages.co...gerryf/run2.bat
this is just a simple batch file that will open a command line box with the 16-bit command.com

They will look the same.

What I am aiming for here is whether or not your EXE file association is screwed up.
this will run the

Advertisements

Tyson83

Tyson83

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Yes I can Control-Alt-Delete and enter and yes I do have a Windows CD (somewhere!)

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
whoops...that webserver doesn't allow batch file downloads...

Had to put them on a different server

go here instead.

http://www.thecomput...dic.com/run.bat
http://www.thecomput...ic.com/run2.bat

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts

Yes I can Control-Alt-Delete and enter and yes I do have a Windows CD (somewhere!)

View Post

Not enter, TASKMANAGER button....

I would like to see what processes are running....first, try the two batch files...I can save you a crap load of typing if they work

Tyson83

Tyson83

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
When I said 'enter' I meant I could access/enter the Taskmanager(!)

I opened Run2.bat but got an error message saying:
16 bit MS-Dos subsystem
C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT.
The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows application. Cose 'Close' to terminate the application.

The other, Run.bat, link seems to work - I got a dark screen with the last line:
C:\Documents and Setting\(My Name)\Desktop.

Tyson83

Tyson83

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Processes:
task.mgr.exe
firefox.exe
HpConfig.exe
ccEutMgr.exe
spodsv.exe
svchost.exe