Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

SLOW BOOTUP (PRIOR TO WINDOWS BOOT)

• Please log in to reply

Kalian

Kalian

• PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
i have a intel p4 desktop board model # d845wn. Before it had 256mb of ram and i recently upgraded to 1gb of ram thinking lack of ram was slowing up the bios but it turns out that it wasnt the problem. Since then i have reset the bios to default values and still i get the extremely slow load up. It takes about 2-5 minutes before it finally gets to the windows load screen.

just recently i swapped over the board from another pc case. when it was in the other case it booted alot faster than it did now. the only thing that changed from the previous case to this case, were all the optical drives and ide cables as i upgraded them as i swapped the case.

However, even prior to installing windows (the exact same version) i was having this same slow boot problem. after the windows install the boot process was slow just the same.

if anyone has any ideas on how to fix this, i'd greatly appreciate it.
thanks in advance,

Kalian

Advertisements

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
When did this slow booting issue start? Have you made any changes to the system prior? How much RAM can this computer handle?

Kalian

Kalian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
there was no change except where noted. the slow booting started after i swapped cases, ide cables, and optical drives. the board can handle up to 3gb of ram.

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Does the system detect the correct amount of RAM?

Kalian

Kalian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
yes

Kalian

Kalian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
any other ideas on what may be wrong?

kidnova

kidnova

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
How many processes does it show running once it does boot up? If you have an excessive number of processes running than it could be a spyware issue and you should post your information in that forum.

Kalian

Kalian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
actually its off of a fresh windows install so there were no signs of any spyware.

but i did find the problem. on my single hard drive there is two settings for MASTER/SLave setup. Theres either Master or Single hard drive, or Master w/Slave drive. I had it under Master w/Slave and for some reason that slowed up the board.

it didnt happen with the previous board so i guess thats why i got kinda careless and overlooked it. =X

anyways thanks for the suggestions and help guys.