Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer reboots itself

• Please log in to reply

Soltis

Soltis

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi,

I'm running Windows XP Pro on a machine I built myself almost 2 years ago now. Everything's always run fine, but a month or so back I was hit with a bunch of Spyware/Malware/Viruses. I THINK I've cleaned all that up now (with the help of Ad-Aware, SpywareBlaster, Ewido, and others), but ever since then my computer's been rebooting itself, seemingly at random. Sometimes it'll reboot when I'm surfing the net, sometimes while playing a game, etc. At times it boots up immediately after I turn it on in the morning, and other times I can work on it for hours without a problem.

I disabled automatic reboots by the advice of a friend; now, the system "dies" and gives me a Blue Screen of Death with the following message:

STOP: c000021a {Fatal System Error} The Windows Logon Process terminated unexpectedly with a state of

0xc0000005 (0x00000000 0x00000000).

The System has been shut down.

Can anyone help? It's getting very frustrating.

Advertisements

Pi rules

Pi rules

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
Hello! :whistling:

That error can be caused by a feature called "Data Execute Protection" (DEP), which attempts to stop malware from executing. Since you said that you recently cleaned some, I'm guessing that there is still some left that XP is trying to stop.
Please read this for instructions on posting a HijackThis log, and please post in a new thread here in the malware removal forum.

Soltis

Soltis

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thanks for the reply. I took your advice, went through all that anti-malware software, and posted a HijackThis! log. I'm eagerly awaiting a reply here.

Pi rules

Pi rules

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
OK. Good luck! :whistling:

PS: I see some malware in your log there, but I'm not qualified to help you remove it. Please be patient and a malware expert will come along to help. :blink:

Edited by Pi rules, 05 August 2006 - 01:19 PM.

Soltis

Soltis

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I've had no reply on that thread. Should I post a new one, and is there anything else that could cause my restarting isssue?

Pi rules

Pi rules

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
Sorry about that. Would you please post a link to your thread here?

Please make sure to read the sticky in that forum for instructions on posting.

Sorry about the wait.