Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Imagining the Tenth Dimension

• Please log in to reply

Pi rules

Pi rules

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
If the universe is infinite (unlikely) then your post was changed an infinite number of times.

Advertisements

Rothers2005

Rothers2005

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
umm thats a promblem not being able to know if they had or not but im not gunna lose sleep over it

maybe they changed the future for the better

frantique

frantique

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,700 posts

If the universe is infinite (unlikely) then your post was changed an infinite number of times.

Or maybe likely! However, doesn't necessarily mean that each dimension is the same as each other or that the post would be changed an infinite number of times.
Some suggest that there are an infinite number of dimensions coexisting at the same time and that there is no such thing as the past or future - that these are merely current scenerios in other current dimensions and our understanding of this is difficult because we exist with a very limited understanding of time.

I was just thinking about other dimensions, multiple inifinities, etc. and realized that there may be multiple values of pi! All that memorization for nothing.

:whistling: :blink: :help: :) :woot: :woot:

Edited by frantique, 14 August 2006 - 09:51 PM.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
You folks are all obviously having way too much fun or LSD, not sure which, and feeding into Flea's alternate reality, which scares me. Sari, I'm begging you, close this one!
Johanna

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Nah, I think it's fine we can get it back on topic, and it is a pretty cool site. It does a nice job of explaining the higher dimensions, and has an interesting forum. Thanks for the link!

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
I would suggest 7 dimensions: lengh, width, depth, duration, consience , proof and conjecture. The last three are a simply stating that we live this life from rules we have got from the past, making dicisions now about the probable results occuring in the future. I am hungry, if I eat food the hunger will go away. I eat food, the hunger is gone, I know for next time, my conscience has built up a proof then. However, the proofs given by others and even those we build ourselves are often false, I will be here tomorrow, my money will be in the bank, and the sun will rise are all examples of conjecture from proof made with ones conscience. History is littered with refuted proofs then, the world isn't flat, Newton's laws, etc., is simply because those proofs(certainties then) no longer fitted the current conjecture of the day since newer proofs had been hit upon. Today's proof is called timespace and quantum macanics but to me it doesn't escape the seven dimensions I have mentioned here, the first four being reality whereas the last three places the being(in your case human) within the reality, his past proofs, his present conscience, his future conjecture.

[Oh and how do you know I am not really a goblin then? In fact, life could just be two dimensional: ones reality and one awareness of it.]

Edited by fleamailman, 15 August 2006 - 06:00 AM.

sarahw

sarahw

Malware Staff

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,781 posts
The first few dimensions are physical, but the rest rely on others to be factual. If one dimension can't be physically possible, the theory for others won't work.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
unless you take into account the theory that perception is the cause of reality...i.e. nothing exists until it is percieved .. such as looking for a can of peanut butter in the pantry...."honey...i don't see any stinking peanut butter" well it's in there "well i don't see it" let me find it....there it is..are you blind? well maybe the person who couldn't find the peanut butter wasn't blind...maybe since they did not percieve the existance of the peanut butter...that it truly didn't exist in their plane of reality. maybe we're all floating around in OUR own dimensional realities where the only things that exist are what we can percieve (not neccessarily just what we see...but what we percieve)....how do i know that what i see as orange isn't the color you see as my green? or how do i know that the smell i smell when roses are around is the same smell you smell? we call people color blind because they don't see (or at least label) the colors we see...maybe that part of the spectrum doesn't physically exist in their plane of reality?

sarahw

sarahw

Malware Staff

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,781 posts
In reality, the penut butter is physically there. They just aren't looking hard enough. It cannot not be there if it is there. It's existence is reality.

Edited by sarahw, 15 August 2006 - 06:59 AM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
but how do you know it's physically there? because you percieve it's existance...by seeing and touching it...if i cannot see it or touch it...does it exist? (in this example because not all things in reality can be seen or touched)... is not the act of perception "ah...i see it now!" the cause existance? take certain things in quantum physics... it's quite possible that the particles that they are dealing with TRULY did not exist until they found a way to precieve them...

just a possibility to ponder

Edited by dsenette, 15 August 2006 - 07:07 AM.

Advertisements

Pi rules

Pi rules

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
I'm with dsenette. Observing something forces it to either exist or not exist. Before observation, it is in a quantum state and may or may not exist.

sarahw

sarahw

Malware Staff

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,781 posts
Such as yourself. I don't see you, you are 10000 miles away. Therefore you don't exist. Right?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
you don't SEE pi...but you do percieve his existance through his posting...he indeed MIGHT not exist in our plane of reality...he may indeed be in some other dimension....BUT your perception of his existance (the reading of his text) makes him exist in THIS plane of reality (the G2G forums).. if we were to make all of pi's posts invisible...and you had not percieved his existance he indeed WOULD not exist in this plane of reality

sarahw

sarahw

Malware Staff

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,781 posts
But he does physically exist. In a reality. (Or the reality)

Edited by sarahw, 15 August 2006 - 07:23 AM.

sarahw

sarahw

Malware Staff

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,781 posts
He exists in reality. He's not a theory.

Edited by sarahw, 15 August 2006 - 07:27 AM.