Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

AMD 64 Athlon 3000+

• Please log in to reply

andy

andy

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
I have got a problem with a laptop and have tried MANY different methods to get the processor speed faster than 798mhz but nothing works. The ONLY thing I have seen is this http://www.fedorafor...hp/t-32932.html which is exactly the same model of laptop as I have except in the one I have got its an amd3000 and he has an amd3700 AND he runs LINUX, whereas I run WinXP home SP2. Does anyone know how to change my laptop in the same way as the above link but for windows? I have tried all the power settings changing suggestions, flashed BIOS, updated all processor drivers/chipset drivers etc. but nothing works. Cool&Quiet isnt in my BIOS and neither is PowerNOW so I cant disable them there. Can anyone help this major headache with an easy to swallow aspirin?

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Is this an Athlon Mobile processor?

If so, I believe that behavior is normal as a batery saving and heat reducing process.

The computer runs slower until you push the processor to 100 percent, then automatically throttles up as needed (the speedstep technology you mentioned earlier).

You would not want to disable this. Now, if you have multiple processes running and it is not throttling up (this may be difficult to gauge), then I would wonder if their is a BIOS update available for your machine.

What version BIOS are you running?

andy

andy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
I am using the latest BIOS from the Fujitsu Siemens website. As for the processor pushing itself back up again to ahwt it should it doesnt. I have been TRYING to play "Star Wars: KOTOR2 TSL" and its skipping and jumping real badly, and just to get it to run I had to disable the movies!! I REALLY shouldnt have to do this with this spec of pc :tazz:

andy

andy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
And its NOT the mobile Athlon 64, its the full blown one :tazz:

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Interesting....just to make sure we're talking about the same machine, how about downloading Everest Home Edition (google it, or get it from the download section on these forums -- I think I saw it there).

Check your motherboard model.

I THINK this is a uniwill 258ka series notebook that was rebadged by FujitsuSiemens.

It certainly sounds like it.

andy

andy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
It is a "uniwill 258ka series notebook" just rebadged, CPU-ID told me that :tazz:

andy

andy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Everest says my Motherboard name is UNKNOWN. Hmm not very encouraging.

andy

andy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
It is the same laptop, hmm IF i was to use THEIR bios instead of the one from Fujitsu Siemens would it work? or would it mess my laptop?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Normally, you would NEVER do that, but in this case it appears to be a simple rebadge--Fujitsu didn't appear to alter the BIOS since it is the same revision number.

I wouldn't bother, though, since MANY people have expressed a problem like this.

What is unclear is if it is really a problem, or is Windows simply mis-reporting?

Setting aside the crappy performance for a moment, Microsoft acknowledges that there is a bug in XP that mis-reports your CPU speed. I am not sure what program you are monitoring your CPU speed with, but it could be getting it's information from XP, and therefore, it will be wrong no matter what.

Take a look here:

http://support.micro...5&Product=winxp

Some have reported good luck with a couple of programs

CPU RightMark
and
SpeedswitchXP, but I am not certain that

a) they work
b) if they work, that they are really fixing a problem that does not really exist. By this I mean, if Windows is incorrectly reporting a speed, and you use these apps to LOCK IN a speed, maybe the CPU was throttling up and you were just unaware.

There are some extensive discussions on this issue at the UNIWILL forums (you need to register).

Back to crappy performance

Crappy performance may not have anything to do with the CPU throttling. Since for many games the problem is not the CPU but the other subsystems. Who loaded your notebook? were all the drivers loaded (and loaded properly--notebooks are notoriously finicky when it comes to loading drivers and loading them in the proper order).

I wish I could be more help, but to really help I would need to have a similar machine to test hands on.

andy

andy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
I installed windows on it, and I installed the drivers in the order recomended by the pdf that came on the laptops driver dvd. I have tried 6 or 7 different programs for testing cpu speed and none help. I even tried ClockGEN to try to overclock my laptop by setting it to ALLWAYS at its fastest QUOTED speeds. However when I reboot the problem stays the same. BIOS reads my processor at 800mhz, which is where I think the problem is. I know of a fix for my EXACT SAME LAPTOP for Linux which throttles the processor properly. After the person used the technique suggested he noticed a VAST performance increase, so I can only asume that a windows equivelant tweek would do the same to mine. Check this link http://www.fedorafor...hp/t-32932.html as that solves the guys problem, but its on LINUX so there is probably no way to convert the method for windows, but at least im giving a litle more info than I have.

andy

andy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
With regards to your M$ link:

Quote If you click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click System Information, the correct processor speed is shown (for example, a displayed 797-MHz speed equals 800 MHz). After you start the System Information tool, the System tool in Control Panel displays the correct speed. However, when you first start your computer, the incorrect speed may be listed in the System tool in Control Panel.

In both my system properties my processor reads 800mhz

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Andy, this is clearly a system hardware problem and the only likely fix is a bios update. No one seems to be willing to admit the problem exists, which usually means they are working on it.

Have you tried here: ?

http://www.uniwill.com/forums/

andy

andy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
I have flashed the BIOS with the latest version from Fujitsu, which has same version number as the Uniwill BIOS. I will try the Uniwill forums. Thanks m8

andy

andy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Ok I have used "RightMark CPU Clock Utility" and to an INTERESTING result, infact one that made me grin like a cheshire cat! I played around with a few settings and now PC Wizard 2005 reads my processor at 1596mhz HOWEVER during the scan of my hardware RightMark did display that my processor hit 1795.93 mhz at one stage! I have changed the following settings, what would anyone reccomend I set things too?

Management Tab
Use P-State Transitions (I have ticked the box)
minimal FID: 4.0x
Maximal FID: 9.0x
Minimal VID: 1.100v
Maximal VID: 1.100v
Profile: Automatic management

On-Demand Clock Modulation (ODCM) has been greyed out so I can't activate it.

Performance/Power Preference (For both PST and ODCM)
Set To: More Performance (NO POWERSAVING)

Hardware/Software Workarounds (Restart Required)
I Can select 2 of these features but havent selected either (Dont know what they are)

Advanced tab
Powermanagement Settings (Per ACPI State)
ACPI State to Display/Modify: C2 (Stop Grant)
Clock Divisor Select: Divide by 512
3 selectable boxes, I have only 1 selected = CPU Low Powr Enable

Clock Power/Timing settings
Good Phase Error (us): 100
Clock Ramp Hysteresis (ns): 2000
HTT Clock PLL Lock Counter (us): 10

P-State Transitions Settings (Restart required)
FID transition Stabilization (us): 80
VID Transition Stabilization (us): 100
Max ramp Voltage Offset (mV): 50

Follow AMD P-State Transitions Rules box has been checked
Use Direct P-State transitions box has NOT been selected.

Now could ANYBODY help me set my settings up so that I dont fry my processor Please?

SlAuGhTeR GEEK

SlAuGhTeR GEEK

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Ok this has no direct relation to the subject but i have an Nvidia GE force 5600 and a p4 3.2Ghz and whenever i try to overclock them both even +100Mgz even lower i have a load of problems. i would like to try and get some help but couldnt find anyone to help me on a personal level.

p.s. this is the only forum i could find even related to the subject