Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Opinion of Sorts

• Please log in to reply

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
I hate that Microsoft is only releasing DX10 with Vista (although I saw it coming as did everyone). Since a new DX10 card and Vista is a big purchase for me, I was thinking of getting a better card now. I'm making about $300-$400 every two weeks at my current job, yet a lot of that is for college, as I move out in the fall.

Right now, the X1800GTO is looking tasty. ( http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814142067 ) For under $200 (it's got a 20 buck rebate till the 15th) is this a decent buy until Vista and DX10 are possible to get? I also plan on adding another gig of RAM to my current configuration. And as of now, my video card is what's holding back my graphics abilities.

SO, the question is:
Should I got ahead and buy a $170 upgrade now to keep me content or wait until I can afford Vista/DX10 card (this is a big issue not because of Vista but because I wanted to get a high end DX10 card, hopefully, so that's why this is a dilema)?

Thanks!
}BP{

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Nothing wrong with what youve got now itss plod away for a while i would just be patient and get yourself some DX10 when it comes out youll just be throwing money away otherwise.

DX10 is so diffrent from 9 it just wouldnt work on XP without MAJOR modifications thats why its going to be vista only and they are releasing a new dx9 with as many DX10 features as XP can handle but its still dx9.

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
Another question then for you. If I do wait for Vista and get a high mid-range card or low high-end card (if that makes sense), will older DX9 games be able to run amazingly with the graphics turned up? (ie Oblivion, BF2, etc.)

MNOB07

MNOB07

• PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
I remember that recently ATI was talking about their next generation DX10 video cards. They explained (along the lines of) while it'll perform very well with DX10 tasks, it is going to blow everything else out of the water in DX9.

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
Cool, that little tidbit made me a little more patient :whistling: