Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

little red x's

• Please log in to reply

stevefromga2000

stevefromga2000

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
i just got a new desktop built, and for some reason when i visit certain websites, such as myspace, most of the pictures show up with the little red x in the top left corner. i don't know if it's something that isn't downloaded on my new computer or what. at first, i thought that maybe it was a slow internet connection, but then i plugged in my laptop and it works with no problems. does anybody have any suggestions?

also, i just tried to look at an RMA status for a hard drive that i sent in, and it wouldn't let me look at the status because it said that i needed to turn off my pop up blocker before i tried to access it again. i went to tools, and my pop up blocker was already turned off. am i not seeing something?

Edited by stevefromga2000, 02 August 2006 - 04:52 AM.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
You are referring to Internet Explorer's tools I assume? (there are now three main browsers in use worldwide for Windows so it helps to say which one you're having trouble with!).

It could be a third-party pop-up blocker that's active, such as the one you get with the Google Toolbar, and there are others you might have installed and forgotten about.

stevefromga2000

stevefromga2000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
yes, it's internet explorer. sorry about that. and i did have google toolbar installed, but then i deleted it. and when i looked through my list of programs that i have installed, i didn't see any third party pop-up blocker or anything like that.

thenotch

thenotch

• Retired Staff
  • 668 posts
Also check your firewall settings as well as your Active X settings.

stevefromga2000

stevefromga2000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
how do i check my active x settings?

thenotch

thenotch

• Retired Staff
  • 668 posts
1. Open Internet Explorer
2. Choose Tools then Internet Options
3. Select the Security tab
4. Choose Internet

Scroll down and you will see the settings for Active X

stevefromga2000

stevefromga2000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
alright, i found them but what am i supposed to check? whenever i try to change the settings to anything other than medium, it won't let me. i can't go to medium low or low, it just goes right back to medium on it's own.

mark717

mark717

• Pip
  • 9 posts
hey! same problem going on here. seems the red Xs showed up after i loaded spyware doctor.