Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

High cpu usage in Windows, pc shuts down at times with warning high lo

• Please log in to reply

Chicken mania

Chicken mania

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
Anyways, I finally had the pc brought to a shop where we put in a new cpu HSF. That sorta did away with the high-low beeps most of the times. The other cause of the beeping could likely be the motherboard which has had plenty of problems ever since I bought it(the Abit av8 is absolutely picky) or it could be the psu(actually brand new and exchanged for my old psu which died about 2 months back).

Been looking at a new motherboard ever since.

Advertisements

AitrusSkyy

AitrusSkyy

• PipPipPip
  • 330 posts
Well glad to hear you got that much worked out :whistling:... Yea sometimes there is a certian make and model of motherboard that is just (bleep)...

Whenever building your own system, its definetly a good idea to check reviews on google.

Sometimes stuff aint made so good. :blink:

Chicken mania

Chicken mania

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
Haha yeah... but on the safe side, I'm going to get a shop to put it in. If things go wrong, at least they got the equipment to help test the parts instead of me "guessing" what went wrong.

Plus, my family still hasn't forgotten that time when I tried to assemble a pc (and ended up killing almost everything in it) and "summoned" columns of smoke into the apartment. :blink:

Well, currently looking at the Asrock 939 Dual Vsta board. It's starting to look like almost every motherboard has got a bad batch out there. I just hope I won't get another screwed-up motherboard. :whistling:

AitrusSkyy

AitrusSkyy

• PipPipPip
  • 330 posts
Well I know a lot of people who JUMP straight to grabbing the new motherboard for the dual cores and such... and while the cpus themselves have very high ratings, the motherboards that have been coming out to support them are complete crap...

Its a lot like sega dreamcast, come out with something quickly to beat the market, but all the games have bugs etc... thats why sega lost its stance in the video game industry, now they work for both xbox and sony or microsoft and sony making games...

Whenever something new comes out, and everyones talkin about how hot it is, how cool and how much of a perfomance enhancer it is, I could care less, most of those people are sold by the market, own3d by the market, the market targets them and they believe everything it says...

Always wait about 6 months before buying the new stuff, because by then, you will probably have a good many reviews to sort through, and by then all the boards that had problems will probably have influenced some companies to make them better or come up with patches/fixes...

I consider everymake and model of any cpu and motherboard and whatever hardware to be a beta... Its like a virus scanner, the scanners dont get their definitions from no where, they get their definitions from people using the programs and getting infected... Everyone is the tester of whatever hardware support issue that will ever exists :whistling:

Chicken mania

Chicken mania

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Well I know a lot of people who JUMP straight to grabbing the new motherboard for the dual cores and such... and while the cpus themselves have very high ratings, the motherboards that have been coming out to support them are complete crap...

Its a lot like sega dreamcast, come out with something quickly to beat the market, but all the games have bugs etc... thats why sega lost its stance in the video game industry, now they work for both xbox and sony or microsoft and sony making games...

Whenever something new comes out, and everyones talkin about how hot it is, how cool and how much of a perfomance enhancer it is, I could care less, most of those people are sold by the market, own3d by the market, the market targets them and they believe everything it says...

Always wait about 6 months before buying the new stuff, because by then, you will probably have a good many reviews to sort through, and by then all the boards that had problems will probably have influenced some companies to make them better or come up with patches/fixes...

I consider everymake and model of any cpu and motherboard and whatever hardware to be a beta... Its like a virus scanner, the scanners dont get their definitions from no where, they get their definitions from people using the programs and getting infected... Everyone is the tester of whatever hardware support issue that will ever exists :whistling:

Wow great advice there! :blink: Although the board I'm looking at has yet to be released, it is more of a "descendent" of the 939 Dual Sata board. The 939 Dual Sata was more of a "depends on your luck" kinda board but this one seems to have way more improvements over the Dual Sata board. Though, the last part could be simply hearsay and not completely true. :help:

Edited by Chicken mania, 14 August 2006 - 02:41 PM.

Chicken mania

Chicken mania

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
Btw, I just remembered having this problem.

Ever since I sent my pc for repair(the first time about 2 months ago) and brought it back, I've been getting a shock by touching the pc casing and sometimes, even the monitor!

I asked a friend about this and he said it was 'cos the pc isn't grounded. 'Cos of lack of sockets, my cpu shares the same socket as my fan. Now, is this really true or is it 'cos my psu is having some problems? I hope it's not my psu, though, I totally cannot afford to buy another psu and a new motherboard.

What is "grounded" anyways?

Edited by Chicken mania, 14 August 2006 - 03:58 PM.

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
on your plug there are three prongs there are in triangle shape the top prong could be silver or brass color but the shape of is round the ground if its broken off or removed to be modified to fit a cord or outlet that doesnt have this type of prong

so inside your computer this wire should be green in color is not connected its probably why your getting shocks

do you get shock from touching your fan.

Chicken mania

Chicken mania

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

on your plug there are three prongs there are in triangle shape the top prong could be silver or brass color but the shape of is round the ground if its broken off or removed to be modified to fit a cord or outlet that doesnt have this type of prong

so inside your computer this wire should be green in color is not connected its probably why your getting shocks

do you get shock from touching your fan.

No, I don't get a shock from touching my fan.

Shape is round the ground? Huh? I hope I'm not being rude but would you mind rephrasing the entire post? I can barely get what you are saying. :blink:

Sorry! :whistling:

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
Where you plug your main power supply your AC cord do you plug in the outet on the wall or do you plug it on a power bar

the three prongs im speaking about are at the end of it

2 are slotted and a round one

but if your not getting shock from your fan then your ground wire is not properly connected in side your computer you said it was in the shop you should contact the technician the did the repairs and inform him or her of this

this can be a very serious problem

just what kinda work they did for repairs at the shop

Chicken mania

Chicken mania

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Where you plug your main power supply your AC cord do you plug in the outet on the wall or do you plug it on a power bar

the three prongs im speaking about are at the end of it

2 are slotted and a round one

but if your not getting shock from your fan then your ground wire is not properly connected in side your computer you said it was in the shop you should contact the technician the did the repairs and inform him or her of this

this can be a very serious problem

just what kinda work they did for repairs at the shop

All of the plugs are connected to a surge protector(AC Adaptor and fan on one socket, 1 printer, 1 speaker, 1 switch, 1 adsl modem and 1 monitor).

Three prongs? You mean the plug itself?

Well, all my sockets are built for three prongs and not two prong plugs.

And here's a photo of my surge protector.

Posted Image

However, now I'm taking a closer look, it seems that my cpu plug does not have proper contact with the socket on the power bar. It seems to be jutting out of the socket by a bit and I wonder if that could be a cause.

If the shop didn't connect the ground wire properly, then I'm really going to be pretty mad at them. :whistling: I wasn't there at the shop when the repairs were being made due to conflicting schedule but all I know is that the psu was being put in and the motherboard was being tested for problems and the onboard lan disabled('cos it was giving me plenty of problems).

Advertisements

Chicken mania

Chicken mania

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
Btw, I got my mother to touch the casing. How come she doesn't get a shock while I do? Could it be that my body has more static electricity?

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
well its your call. but you should see if the shops work is guarranteed. if it is against this sort of thing then have them look at it. i mean you getting the shocks from your computer. as for your cpu usage try this and see if you can disable any programs that are constantly running they run constantly so windows can have access to them in a quick sort of way

WinXP Unload DLLs: Go to Start - Run - type in "REGEDIT" without quotes and press enter. The Registry Editor opens up. Now use the lefthand explorer pane to find this key: "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer" Still in the lefthand pane, right click on the Explorer folder and choose "New - KEY". Give it a name of "AlwaysUnloadDLL" (without quotes and capital letters are important). Inside that key change the default string to 1 and close regedit and reboot.

This tweak is perfect for low resource systems. The drawback of using this is a very small slowdown in the initial opening of programs, but this isn't half as bad as it sounds. And the benefit of using this tweak far outweighs the drawback.

Chicken mania

Chicken mania

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

well its your call. but you should see if the shops work is guarranteed. if it is against this sort of thing then have them look at it.

Yep, you are right about getting the system checked 'cos I remember getting a shock when touching my monitor too!

Oh and thank you for the tip! :whistling:

Edited by Chicken mania, 16 August 2006 - 08:21 AM.