Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

need help: network & multimedia controller

• Please log in to reply

dustman

dustman

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
Hello,

I was recently given an older ASUS A7V600 desktop, GE Force FX, AMD Athlon XP 2800 CPU, Pro 1250MHz, Bios V6-0 Energy Star ACPI, Rev 1005, 120GB HD, 512RAM, XWave QS3000A audio pci sound card. It had issues, (probably why I ended up with it, LOL) so I wiped the drive and installed Windows XP-PRO, and SP2. Everything seems to be working fine, but there are 2 yellow question marks (conflicts) in the device manager, "network controller" and "multimedia controller".

When I type in "network controller" online, I get "ethernet adapter"(the ethernet card is installed and working fine, with a good driver, so that doesn't sound right). Also, isn't there a difference between "controller" and adapter? Or do both terms simply refer to a "driver"?

When I type in "multimedia controller", I get "audio controller", or "audio adapter".

I have gone to several driver identification sites, and also used the driverguide tool kit.

The only solid informationt they all agree on is that I need:

Multimedia controller: HW ID: PCI\VEN_11C1&DEV_044F&SUBSYS_BOF40E11&REV_8
Network controller: HW ID: PCI|VEN_1106&DEV_D104&SUSSYS_D1041106&REV_00

All of that is greek to me, and when I search either of those online, nothing comes back.

I have downloaded over 20 drivers from ASUS, VIA, Driverguide.com, and other sites in attempts to solve this problem, with no results whatsoever.

Does anyone have any ideas? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dusty

Advertisements

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
Have you tried right clicking on the controller and allowing it to search the interent for a driver?

dustman

dustman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Hello, Jaxisland,

Yes, I have tried that several times with each item, and each time got the response that the hardward could not be installed because the software could not be found.

Thanks for your response!

Dusty

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
Try following the guided tour here:
http://www.idhw.com/

See if that can help, if we can narrow down exactly what is in there, we can help find a driver.

AitrusSkyy

AitrusSkyy

• PipPipPip
  • 330 posts
Possibly the ethernet card was struck by lightning, as well as soundcard...

If both have a yellow !!, drivers are not installed. But if you know you installed the drivers and the yellow !! is still there. Open the window and see what it says.

If it says one device is in conflict with another, so it is not working, this means your ethernet card and multimedia are using the same IRQ channel or trying to, which creates an error.

Or on the motherboard, some wires were not connected right, like someone put the multimedia wire into a wrong pin. This is only the case if it is a custom built machine.

If you have installed the drivers, they these items are not working, its probably the first 2 things I said.

If you simply are having an issue finding the correct divers, open your box, get your motherboard make and model, take your pci sound card out, get the make and model off of it, and post them here and I will get the driver links for you.

dustman

dustman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Hello, Jaxisland and AitrusSkyy,

Thanks for the info. I was able to dig up the following under PCI\Vendor IDs (both ID's pointed to the same device): the infamous 3COM 3c940 Gigabit ethernet PIC codec.

I have run into this before, and have downloaded the driver from Driverguide.com, but when I try to update the driver and point to this item, it just says the same old thing, this device has not been installed because the software cannot be found for it. : (

Also mentioned was K8X800, but that is a bios item, and a totally different manufacturer. I don't think that is going to solve the conflicts on the network or multimedia controllers.

What a head scratcher! LOL

Dusty

dustman

dustman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Hello, again,

I forgot to mention that when I go into device manager, and click on either item, and properties, its says the item is not functioning because the drivers have not been installed for this device (code 28).

Everything, including driver info and manufacturer is shown as "unknown", but under device instances, it gives those same two PCI\Vendor IDs, which both boil down to the 3c940.

Sign.....

Dusty

AitrusSkyy

AitrusSkyy

• PipPipPip
  • 330 posts
Ok try this then... when you download the drivers for your ethernet, there is no EXECUTABLE, in other words, you cant click setup.exe or install.exe to get your ethernet drivers in...

so....

download the drivers as you did before, make a folder on your desktop called ethernet,
drop the files into it.

Run the update hardware wizard again from the device manager for the ethernet...

DONT PICK install the software automatically.

Chose the bottom option INSTALL FROM A SPECIFIC LIST OR SPECIFIC LOCATION

follow the pictures I attached to this...

Browse for the files for the install that you placed in the folder you made for your desktop, ( C:\Documents and Settings\YOURLOGINNAME) when it has you select a file, you probably will only have 1 or 2 to choose from, try them till it installs...

Should work :whistling:

Attached Thumbnails

• updat1.JPG
  • updat2.JPG
  • updat3.JPG

Edited by AitrusSkyy, 02 August 2006 - 12:19 PM.

dustman

dustman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Hello, again, AitrusSkyy,

That's the way I have been trying to install the drivers all along. Has anyone ever REALLY gotten a driver by allowing the wizard just check online? I never have! LOL

Anyway, I let the wizard try several times, same results, cannot find software, press finish.

Thanks again,

Dusty

AitrusSkyy

AitrusSkyy

• PipPipPip
  • 330 posts
Alright, if you have the time, try the following...

Manually remove both the pci ethernet card, and sound card...

Manually write down their brand/version and/or model #...

Its sounding like your drivers are not installing because possibly we are getting info thats telling us its a diff product than it really is...

Also the yellow!!! in the device, can you specify again what it says in the status window of each item?

Device is not working because no drivers? Or Device is in conflict with another device etc...

Advertisements

dustman

dustman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Good morning, AitrusSkyy!

In Device Manager, when you click on properties of either the multimedia controller, or the network controller, you get the same response, drivers not installed for this device, (code 28).

The sound card is an XWaveQS3000A audio PCI, that information is directly printed on the card itself, I found and installed the driver for it, and there is no conflict. (I had already gotten all of the information off of the sound card and the ethernet card last week before I started this wild goose chase.)

Under Network adapters I have Realtek RTL8029(AS)-Based ethernet adapter (generic), and now the 3ComGigabit Lom (3C940)

The two ! marks in device manager are under OTHER DEVICES: network controller and multimedia controller

I am accessing the net through the ethernet cable, so that seems to be working fine. I don't have speakers hooked up to the conputer yet. I was trying to iron out this mess first.

I just don't understand why I am getting the ! marks in Device Manager under these two items. When I use the different driver ID services, I keep getting back that I need those two long PCI/Ven strings which both indicate the 3Com 3C940 is needed for both devices. I have it installed, but no change in the ! items.

ASUS usually uses VIAtech components, and one driver ID service (driverguide toolkit) indicated I need a VIA component, it says Device: Network Controller, vendor: VIA technologies, subsystem unknown, Subsystem vendor VIA technologies, Inc.

I downloaded the VIA Network Controller driver listed on their site, and it is installed and working fine. In device manager all of my sound, video and game controller devices are working properly with no ! items.

That was why I was trying to find out the difference between a controller, an adapter, and a driver. Do they all mean the same thing, or are they all different? Is a controller or adapter something different from the driver? Is it a 2-part deal where you can have the driver just fine, but need the adapter/controller too?

It is almost like the 2 ! items under "other devices" should be removed, are obsolete, or something? But when I uninstall them, the next time I turn on the computer, I get wizard notices that new hardware has been found, and wizard is ready to install the software for the Network controller and the Multimedia controller. That's where it all goes sideways, nothing you do makes any difference in the ! items. whether you let the wizard look online, or direct it to drivers you have installed in different files, etc, nothing works.

I wish I could just find a way to get those 2 devices to stop appearing in Device Manager. Everything is working just fine, but I hate to see the ! items! Its almost like something needs to be reset to eliminate them, but I sure can't figure out what!

What a mess, huh? LOL

Thanks again,

Dusty

AitrusSkyy

AitrusSkyy

• PipPipPip
  • 330 posts
Ok the difference between an adapter and a controller is this....

Adapter = something you can purchase and add/upgrade on your computer, it adapts to your motherboard :whistling:...

A controller, is basically the hardware on the motherboard that controlls hows the adapters work, or in this case windows is trying to do so.

If they are both controllers, then I suggest that your motherboard actually has some chipset drivers that need to be installed for those controllers... not sure if you listed your motherboard type, but I will check your listing and see what is available for your motherboard. I can find you the right thing, gimme a few moments.

OK try going to this link...

http://support.asus....SLanguage=en-us

click the GREEN thing that says

ASUS Navigation Wizard
This function will auto direct you to Driver's download page.

it will auto bring you to your updates for your asus board...

Try looking for a chipset driver or something along those lines... I would need your exact make and model to find it for you... which is not a problem if you would like me to.

Edited by AitrusSkyy, 03 August 2006 - 08:05 AM.

dustman

dustman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Me again! I sure appreciate your efforts on my behalf!

The computer is an ASUS A7V600, GE Force FX, AMD Athlon XP 2800 CPU, Pro 1250MHz, Bios V6-0 Energy Star Ally 1984-2002, ACPI Bios Revision 1005.

I have gone to the ASUS site many times, and found some things there, but I must admit, I am not familiar with "chipset" items, or at least that term. I tried to get a BIOS update but it says it must be done through DOS, and I don't believe Windows XP Pro does DOS.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. (I did download the BIOS revisions to my ASUS file, but they end with an AWD file extention, and when I tried to open them, was sent to a windows website that said it couldn't open that kind of file. SIGH.......

Thanks again,

Dusty

AitrusSkyy

AitrusSkyy

• PipPipPip
  • 330 posts
Ok a bios update must be done from a diskette... Usually you place the file on a floppy diskette, and either BOOT to the floppy at startup, or go into your BIOS at startup and look for an update or upgrade or flash bios option in bios...

Basically the Bios update must be done from the diskette and you have to figure out whether it boots, or your bios itself has an option for updating...

WARNING, make sure your computer has a solid power connection and DO NOT turn it off when it is updating the bios...

This bios thing may or may not fix your problem...

Also when you see the BIOS update on the website, check its version, then when you boot your pc, go into your pcs BIOS and check its version, if they match, you dont need to update, if they dont match then you probably do...

I will find some files based on the info you gave me, give me a few.

Actually in my opinion the bios update wouldnt fix your problem because your bios is different than the controllers, so wait on that.

Edited by AitrusSkyy, 03 August 2006 - 09:05 AM.

AitrusSkyy

AitrusSkyy

• PipPipPip
  • 330 posts
OK do the following...

go to this link

http://support.asus....mp;model=A7V600

and choose OTHERS on the drivers to downloadcollapse list

download and install both of the drivers under the ONLY 2 that say WinXP

one is a usb controller, the other is a controller for something else...

After that restart if you must, see if problem is the same, then do the following if it is...

Drop down the LAN list find the only WinXP ones, and see which of those is your lan, and install it....

Do the same thing with the AUDIO collapse list and then

do the bios one if you still have no got it to work...