Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dual Channel Memory Problem

• Please log in to reply

Longhorns242

Longhorns242

• PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
OK my motherboard only supports single channel memory, i think that my memory is dual channel, is there any way to check what type of memory i have.

Edited by Longhorns242, 02 August 2006 - 05:09 PM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
If the board doesn't support dual-channel, the memory will still work. It's the board that decides whether one can run it in dual-channel or not by the amount of sticks available and whether the board supports it.

Longhorns242

Longhorns242

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
ok so im looking at my mobo box and it says DDR 400/333 MHz SDRAM: Two Slots, single-channel (2gb max), how do i know if my memory is dual channel or not

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
any DDR400 memory will work in dual channel...if the mobo supports dual channel .. ANY DDR40 memory becomes "dual channel"...its not that the memory changes...it how the motherboard use's the memory..

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
This had already been pointed out by happyrck but I'll say it again anyway as there is a lot of confusion surrounding this issue -

There is no such thing as dual channel ram.

Dual channel is a 'mode' of accessing the ram, nothing to do with the physical characteristics of the memory modules themselves. Hope that clears this up! :whistling:

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
and you answered yuour own question in your own post if the motherboard box says that it has
"DDR 400/333 MHz SDRAM: Two Slots, single-channel (2gb max)" then you can only run in single channel mode

IT CAN NOT RUN IN DUAL CHANNEL even if the RAM says that it is dual channel all dual channel RAM means that it is a matched pair and will work great with dual channel motherboards.

troppo

Longhorns242

Longhorns242

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
ok thank you...i just dont know anything about memory. I thought it was like reg ddr400 and dual channel ddr400 memory you could buy and my motherboard supported the reg ddr400. lol thanks again