Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

dropped IP address?

• Please log in to reply

abundance

abundance

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi -

Last Saturday while connected to the internet (AIM, Myspace, iTunes) my son lost his connection. Since then we can not access the internet at all. I have run several virus scans (Spybot, Norton, Lavasoft) and no viruses were found.

I recycled the modem, changed the modem and wires, and worked with Verizon tech (DSL) to no avail. All we get in IE is page can not be displayed, and in AOL, it tells us to check the firewall (which is fine). I also tried a restore but that did not fix the problem. The Verizon tech told me that I had no IP address. Could this be caused by a bad network card? How can I fix this.

Thanks in advance for your help! Abundance

Advertisements

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
First thing to check is go to Start -> Run type cmd then hit enter

in the dos box type ipconfig/all and hit enter

let me know what it says.

Thanks

thenotch

thenotch

• Retired Staff
  • 668 posts
Look on the back of the PC and see if there are any lights lit on the network card, also make sure the cable is firmly seated in the card (take it out and plug it back in).

Open a command window and see if you can ping the modem

ping 192.168.1.1 (or possibly 192.168.0.1)

If you get a response then the NIC is good... if you don't then try a different ethernet cable, if you still cant ping it then it could be the NIC or possibly a bad modem.

If it does ping you should ensure that DHCP is enabled and then right click the network connection and choose "Repair" if you have Windows XP, otherwise in the command window again, type:

ipconfig /release then type ipconfig /renew

If you get a bogus 169.x.x.x IP address DHCP is not pulling an IP from your modem and at that point I would be willing to bet you have a bad modem.

Edited by thenotch, 03 August 2006 - 12:41 PM.