Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Virtual Memory

• Please log in to reply

Tru Techie

Tru Techie

• PipPipPip
  • 267 posts
im on this computer with 256MB ram, p3 733MHz. and i was wondering what is a good setting for min and max virtual memory? is it bad to use too much? whats a recommended size?

and what about disk caching? is it wise to enable disk caching on thsi computer?

Edited by Tru Techie, 03 August 2006 - 12:24 PM.

Advertisements

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
for virtual memory i stay with 1.5 x total memory and set that. Also you could let windows do it. I would do disk caching.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
http://www.webopedia...disk_cache.html

Tru Techie

Tru Techie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts
i no what disc cache is, and its risks, i just wanted to no if its ok to change settings.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Microsoft suggest setting it to Custom and having it set to the amount of memory plus half as much again. This is how XP sets it up by default. The only problem with this is if you increase the amount of memory in the system, the size of the Virtual Memory doesn't change with it until you go in and alter it manually.

The optimal setting for Virtual Memory is dependent on who you ask. Some people say Custom (as it saves Windows having to look at it every five minutes), some say let Windows do it. Some say they get better performance with Custom, others say better when Windows is looking after it.

You can't have too much Virtual Memory - after all, Windows has got the entire rest of the hard drive (in theory) to dedicate to it if it wants it.

Tru Techie

Tru Techie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts
i just set mine 2 times the ram, and the max 2 times that.