Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Booting up trouble

• Please log in to reply

Cugino

Cugino

• Pip
  • 3 posts
My brother just got this Pentium 3 computer from his work. It has Windows 2000 on it but he doesn't know the login or password. I have been trying to reformat and install Windows XP on this machine but have had no luck. We received the computer with no cd-rom drive so I installed a spare one that I have. The computer recognizes a device there, but doesn't know what it is so I can't boot from the cd-rom. I went to microsoft.com and downloaded the boot disk for windows XP as 6 floppy disks. The computer won't recognize these as boot disks. The boot sequence is set properly. I had a spare hard drive that I formatted on my other PC and installed it on the Pentium 3, but the computer recogizing it as a device but doesn't know what it is, just like the cd-rom drive. The jumper settings on the hard drive is set to Master.

I have no idea what else to try, so if anyone has any advice as how to get this thing working, it'd be much appreciated.

Advertisements

Cugino

Cugino

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I actually figured it out. I had the my hard drive and cd-rom drive set at Master Drive when they should have been set as a Single Drive or Cable Select.